Clear all

Buying a new Amp and pedal...

12 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@youngrawker)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

ok, so I have a REALLY BAD squier amp that can barely do anything :roll: .....I wanted to know if anyone had any good suggestions for buying a new amp. I was thinking of buying a Fender 25R Frontman Series II Combo Amp along with a Zoom Multi-effects Pedal so my price to pay would be just about 200 bucks for the whole deal. What does anyone else think?

I like to play stuff such as greenday, blink 182, nirvana, and foo fighters. Just so you know what I'm into

Oh, and yes, I Have to stay under 250 bucks.

(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

if you can only buy one pedal i recommend an ibanez tube screamer.

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

if you can only buy one pedal i recommend an ibanez tube screamer.
definately pass on the Zoom multi effects pedal.
with a Tube screamer you can get alot of sounds out of it, it forces you to focus by not having a gajillion effects to toggle thru.

some say the tubescreamr isnt made for a solid state amp. Im not sure, being a tube amp player.
my tube screamer rocks. itll do Nirvanna, but not metal.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@banre)
Reputable Member

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Vox-Valvetronix-AD30VT-30W-Guitar-Combo?sku=481959

Valvetronix++

Great amp, sort of a tube/solid state hybrid. Great tones, several different amp models, and some effects that can get you buy until you know exactly what sort of effects you want.

Unseen Evidence
UE Reverb Nation Page

ReplyQuote
(@primeta)
Prominent Member

Try the Roland Cube 30 and the Crate FXT30 Guitar Combo Amp with DSP as well as the Vox. I think you may need to save up a bit more, but I don't think the Frontman is much of a step up from the Squier.

I wouldn't bother with a tubescreamer unless you're getting a tube amp :wink:

Get a good amp first, then worry about the multifx.

"Things may get a whole lot worse/ Before suddenly falling apart"
Steely Dan
"Look at me coyote, don't let a little road dust put you off" Knopfler

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

THat's one nice amp. Wish it didn't have so many effects.

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@drewsdad)
Estimable Member

I'd second the Roland or the Valvtronix, but I have the FXT30 and while the clean channel and most of the effects are not bad, the gain is pretty harsh and brittle (but YMMV).

Life's journey can be hard at times, but you have to realize that you are the only one with the power make it a worthwhile experience.

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

ok, so I have a REALLY BAD squier amp that can barely do anything :roll: .....I wanted to know if anyone had any good suggestions for buying a new amp. I was thinking of buying a Fender 25R Frontman Series II Combo Amp along with a Zoom Multi-effects Pedal so my price to pay would be just about 200 bucks for the whole deal. What does anyone else think?

I like to play stuff such as greenday, blink 182, nirvana, and foo fighters. Just so you know what I'm into

Oh, and yes, I Have to stay under 250 bucks.
Which Zoom pedal? If it's not one of the newer ones I wouldn't recommend it. I had the old 9002 and it was OK, but you could hear it was a multi-fx pedal a mile off :)

I've just got one of the new ones, the G2.1u, and I love it - very nice sound through a good amp and/or headphones. Most of the default patches are based on actual album tones too, and one of them is even Dookie. There's a few samples of the sounds from that series here (and all the others linked from here).

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@duffmaster)
Noble Member

Yeah, ditch the squier. Those amps make me shiver...

Look into the Epiphone Valve Special or the Valvetronix.

What style are you looking to play?

Who needs a signature?
I mean really...
It's almost always lyrics...
or a cliche...
or garbage about me...
Lets just save YOU from the pain, ok?

ReplyQuote
 vink
(@vink)
Prominent Member

I also recommend either the Vox Valvetronix AD30VT or the Roland Cube 30. I have the VOx and I play the cube at my lessons. They both have good tone and several nice amp models, both under $250, and you can get a long way without an effects pedal with either. With the VOX, you can play anything from jazz to soft rock to blues to metal with the included amp models, I think. I have not played as much with the Cube, but you can certainly get a very clean tone and a very nice distortion. Don't know about in between..

--vink
"Life is either an adventure or nothing" -- Helen Keller

ReplyQuote
(@youngrawker)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Which Zoom pedal? If it's not one of the newer ones I wouldn't recommend it. I had the old 9002 and it was OK, but you could hear it was a multi-fx pedal a mile off :)

I've just got one of the new ones, the G2.1u, and I love it - very nice sound through a good amp and/or headphones. Most of the default patches are based on actual album tones too, and one of them is even Dookie. There's a few samples of the sounds from that series here (and all the others linked from here).
haha, well actually thats one of the ones I was looking at. Yeah, I heard they were pretty good but I never knew they had a "Dookie" tone in it which is pretty kewl. :lol:

ReplyQuote