Clear all

Buying My New Set-up

9 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@metallicaman)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Hey guys, well after a couple you-tube video's, alot of people's suggestions, I am going to go with an Epiphone Valve Junior Full Tube Head to fix my tone problem.

My plan is, I am going to use a weber mini mass 25 watt attenautor, The Epiphone Valve Junior Full Tube Head, and a delay pedal and possibly a ibanez tube screamer or other overdrive pedal Im not sure. I have about 260$ or so... so money is real tight but Im gonna try to make it work..

Im gonna use my behringer as extra speakers. Now I have some questions.

- What cables and everything do I need to make sure when I order my EVJ, and the pedals I can plug my attenautor in and hook up the EVJ?? What Cables and wires do I need? Any Suggestions of where to buy them?

- Since Im running my EVJ Through my Behringer, Does the attenautor need to match the wattage of the EVJ head, or the behringer cab??

Thanks everyone for your help, I should be ordering everything here in about the next week or two.

Sing Me A Song Your a Singer, Do me a wrong, your a bringer of evil. - Dio

(@metallicaman)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

After Some Quick Re-Search, I think I realize that the only cables that run the attenautor, evj, everything are just standard 1/4 guitar cables correct??

Ok well my next question would be how many different cables do I need? I need to hook up the attenautor, evj, behringer to the attenautor and evj, ect...

Ive also heard people telling me that I Have to disconnect my speakers from the behringer and run them into the attenautor or something? Why? How do you? Is it hard?

Thanks everyone..

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Speaker cables aren't the same as instrument cables. Use speaker cables from the amp head to a cab, from the amp to the attenuator, and from the attenuator to the cab.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@metallicaman)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

So I need 3 sets of speaker cables or what? Sorry i am just REALLY dumb when it comes to electronics and wires n stuff..

Can someone explain to me exactly what i will need and how to do it??

I dont know step ONE of it.

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

No, you cannot connect the speaker-out of the attenuator to the Behringer, you have to use the line-out into the slave-in. For this you'll need one regular guitar cable.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Why do you want to buy an expensive attenuator to lower the cranked volume of a Valve Junior, reduce it to a line level and re-amplify it? It would be far simpler, if you're going to buy a Valve Junior and attenuator, to run it straight back out from the attenuator to the speaker. And if you bought a Valve Junior combo, you wouldn't have to have a separate cab. You'd use its own speaker. And far better to skip the attenuator, get the VJ combo and just turn the volume down when you don't want it loud, like I do. If you've got to have distortion at low volume, plug a cheap overdrive pedal in front of it. For $10 extra you've got a high gain master volume amp. You're making this way too complicated IMO.

ReplyQuote
(@metallicaman)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Ricochet, whats the point in having a tube amp if you can't expeirence the full throttle tubes?

I cant turn it all the way up because of the community I live in, and I live in a house with 3 other people so it cant be loud. Therefore with an attenautor, I can get full tube power at lower volumes. I wanted to buy the EVJ head because its cheaper, and its the same full tube as the combo, and I could hook up the EVJ head to more powerful speakers (behringer).

So I have full tube sound coming out at lower levels and out of two 10" speakers instead of one 8" or whatever it is..

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Well, I do like to hear the "full throttle tubes" now and then. Doing it all the time is just plain boring.

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Myself? EVH into a single 12" cab. I use a Tech 21 Tri OD as a preamp. It has 3 settings. Tweed (Fender) California (Mesa) and Brittish (Marshall) all foot switchable. This with the thump of the EVH tube power amp (not to mention overdriving the preamp if I wish) sounds great. I do like the sound of the attenuator also, but would only need the line out to a solid state amp if I were needing to play "real" loud. The EVH is loud by itself.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote