Clear all

Can guitar speaker handle bass?

6 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@mark-taylor)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Does anyone know if a Crate custom design guitar speaker can handle bass guitar frequencies? I want to use my guitar amp for bass but I am afraid of popping the speaker. Hate to replace.

You can ride a Yamaha, or play a Yamaha, it is up to you.

(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Don't crank it to 11 and you'll be fine.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Don't crank it to 11 and you'll be fine.

Don't crank it past 5 and you'll be fine...

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

And it wouldn't likely fail from "popping" or burning out of the voice coil due to overheating, but through overextension of the cone, which results in deformation damage to cone and coil suspensions. So the rule is simple: If it sounds as if the speaker is distorting (doubling, fluttering, rattling, flabby, ragged or buzzy bass notes), then STOP and turn down the level; you are killing it.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@hartkeha3500)
Eminent Member

dont do it
the speakers in a guitar amp are built for high frequencies a bass runs much lower than
\you can do it just dont go loud even though i wouldnt recomend it
iv blown a few coz of it
and i wqas playing on 3-4 each time
a guitar in a bass amp is fine on the other hand
actually has a really nice clean tone

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

I agree with hartkeha3500. It is just not best to do it. If your guitar amp has a larger speaker and it is closed back, then perhaps. I agree that if you have a bass amp, then you could play either guitar or bass on that one. You may have to turn down the bass frequency if using a guitar. I have an Ashdown 180 with a 15 inch speaker and it has great clean tones on a guitar. Then you can add some mild distortion and get a really good blues sound. It is all about clipping, it is just too quick to clip a guitar amp using a bass.

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote