Clear all

Carvin Amps

15 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@blackzerogsh)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

I was just wondering what you guys think of Carvin. I was looking for a gig-worthy amp, within a budget of $300-$400. My best bet was the Peavy Transtube Bandit 112, or a Kustom Quad 100, and buy a tubescreamer with it, then I stumbled along Carvin.

Carvin isn't found on any online dealer. Its becuase they dont want a middleman. After looking at their catalog, my jaw sropped as I passed by the SX200c. It's a 2x12 amp with celestion seventy 80s, 100w, 2 channels, and 24bit effects (don't care about the effects that much) My jaw dropped to the floor. All that for $279.99. My amp selection seems like a done deal.

What do you guys think of Carvin. Ever done business with them? I hear lots of good things about them, but this amp may seem a little too good to be true.

(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I like Carvin, they make quality gear. My lead guitarist Lane uses a Carvin 65W all tube head into a Peavey 4 X 12 cab, sounds awesome. It is probably 20 years old and still going strong.

I have also used Carvin PA equipment and found it to be very good.

Sounds like a real nice amp for a great price to me.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

What do you guys think of Carvin. Ever done business with them? I hear lots of good things about them, but this amp may seem a little too good to be true.

The other guitar player in the band has had a Carvin MTS3212 as his main gig amp for a few years now. Nice sounding amp, plus it's nice and rugged. He's been *very* happy with it.

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

My bass player ordered a 5 string bass from Carvin last summer, and he was totally impressed with them. I've never heard any negative feedback about Carvin. I don't know about the amp you're thinking of, but it might be a good deal bassed on the company's rep.

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

i have a carvin tube 100 watt tube amp and half-stack. the sound doesn't cut through as well as my solid state at the same volume, but it's a nicer tone.
edit :paid $400 for the head and speakers, second hand through craigslist.

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

I had a Carvin X100B back in the 80s and it was awesome. Like a Marshall JCM800. I ran it through 2 1x12 cabs. I have no complaints at all about the AE185 lefty I got either, nor the SM162 mixer I use for recording.

I've heard good things about their solid state SX series amps too. I believe Craig Anderton the journalist also wrote up a good review of them somewhere. They have good, solid, great sounding gigging gear - they *have* recording mics and mixing desks, but they're equipment leans more toward the gigging, live musician - which is great.

Though it's unlikely, if I were to need a good loud rock stage amp, I'd probably just go and get one of their 100 watt MTS heads and the Vai 2x12 cab; if the drive channel is anywhere near the X100B then I'll be quite happy, and I've heard it's similar. Carvin has always been known for their sparkling clear clean channels, so I don't even have to worry about that side of things. That's what I loved about the X100B - you could go from total crunch (80s style) to pristine, chimey Fenderish clean, hifi almost, with a click of the footswitch.

I've read similar about the SX series, though if you want tube, their tube series is hard to beat.

Plus they've got that V2 (or V3) out now, which is a beast; real Recto-killer they say.

ReplyQuote
(@mattypretends116)
Honorable Member

Yeah the V3 is supposed to be good, like a Mesa Stiletto I think. Carvin makes great stuff, good prices, too. I have an AE185 as well and it is a good guitar.

"Contrary to popular belief, Clapton is NOT God. The prospect that he is God probably had a large hand in driving him to drugs and booze. Thanks everyone."

-Guitar World :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@rocker)
Noble Member

carvin is top notch, the guy who taught me to play is sponsered by carvin, i've played his guitars and he uses 2 legacy half stacks, that i have used, they sound awsome, i;ve never
heard any negative things about carvin.

even god loves rock-n-roll

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

The only negative I've heard is that, since they're mainly mailorder, you never get to try them out first. They have a good return policy however. I've never returned anything though; pretty much sight unseen, and I was quite happy with the product.

Though now, since I live in Los Angeles, it's possible to go down to one of their showrooms and try stuff out. They only have showrooms in California though.

It didn't stop me from getting that X100B though - I had it shipped to Hawaii and it pretty much rocked right out of the box.

The other cool little amp they have is the Nomad 50 watt 1x12 combo. That and the matching 1x12 extension cab would give pretty good onstage coverage in my opinion. I just wish they made them in black Tolex rather than the tweed. I'm old, but not that old ;)

ReplyQuote
(@josephlefty)
Reputable Member

I wouldn't hesitate to buy anything from Carvin. All quality.

Have a Carvin Vintage amp. One day they will build me a guitar. :D

If it was easy it wouldn't be worth doing.

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Carvin builds some great equipment. Their tube are exceptionally well built and have a great tone. Yes, their worth looking in.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@blackzerogsh)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Yea, I've heard some good things about their tube amps, and I'm glad that everyone approves of carvin.
I just need to convince my mom to let me get it. This is going to be tough :cry:

Also, why doesn't carvin sell to other dealers such as MF and music123, if it will help them get their product out, and get them alot more moeny. I'm just surprised that they've lasted this long without other dealers (which I think is great)

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

But don't forget about your original idea of the SX 2x12 amp. They're still very good amps I've heard. As far as them not being in stores; that was a marketing decision made years ago, back in the 50s I think. They started off as mail order and pretty much kept it that way. Mail order was big back in the 30s, 40s and 50s anyhow. But they, I guess just never wanted to get into having a middle man in their transactions. But then, that's why you get pretty much wholsale prices from them. And while they may never have the product visibility of other brands like Fender, they fill a really nice niche by providing good tools for the pro and semipro working musicians out there - which are many.

Personally, none off their guitars interest me because I have one, love it and have used it. It's just that I'm not a 'Carvinite' where it's all about that brand. The amps however, would probably be my first choice for a live situation because I know from experience that they're reliable, roadworthy, cost effective and provide a good basic sound on which other things can be added. I might even try the SX myself, just because of the cost.

Anyhow, hope this helps. :)

ReplyQuote
 xg5a
(@xg5a)
Honorable Member

Every Carvin product that i've been exposed to has been excellent. I only wish that I could buy stuff around here(PA). Then again, the lack of a middleman is probably why the prices are so low.

ReplyQuote
(@muddy)
Trusted Member

i have been using a x100b with el's in them and the amp is very versatile to dial in the sounds u want.. with a 5 band eq which exhibits amazing tone manipulation. it's 25 yrs old and goin very strong.. can still get them for around 300.
heavy bastids but worth every penny as is many of their products
great company

LIVELY UP YOURSELVES!!

ReplyQuote