Clear all

Computer Headphone out into amp input?

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@phinnin)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Still trying to figure out my "drum machine" solution.

Can anyone confirm if its okay (aka, not damaging) to plug the headphone output of a laptop computer into one of the inputs on my Fender HRD? I am worried it may be too much signal power and could fry the amp.

If I can do this, I think it will buy me the time to buy a new PA

(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

I would have thought it would be far too much signal. If it wasn't a damaging amount, it would at the least be so much that you'd spend a year and a day trying to find a volume low enough not to clip and loud enough not to be noisy. No way in the world I'm going to risk my Zoom on it :)

I'm going to be messing with the same kind of thing tonight and/or (more likely) tomorrow - getting a Groove Agent drum track into Audacity without all that MIDI grief. A friend has given me a few tips on recording every last sound the computer generates directly (mouseclicks included - I'll have to disable them :roll:) with Cool Edit - basically finding 'Wave Mapper' as an input source and recording from that. I'm going to see if the same thing can be done with Audacity, or if not via a third party freebie, or as a last resort do it in Cool Edit, save as MP3 from there and bring it into Audacity. I'll let you know how it goes.

*edit*
Well, that was a bit of a puzzle. All you have to do is choose 'Record Master' as your input source in Audacity and you're good to go. I'd tried every input listed the other day and they didn't work, but I've only just figured out why - when I plug my pedal in, the USB driver messes around with the input setup and had removed 'record master' from the list. Unplug the USB device and it comes back :mrgreen:

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@hemiriffic)

not sure of the sound card you have but I use my "line out" not the head phone jack....more of a level signal ... and it can be adjusted through windows

Washburnn WI64D Pignose 150R Amplitube Revalver Guitar Rig Cakewalk Products Beer

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I agree with hemiriffic, look for a "Line" output on the drum machine. This will work well.

I play CDs through a walkman on my PA. I have used both the headphone jack and it has an output jack labeled Line as well. The headphone jack worked, but the signal was overdriven and distorted. The Line output works perfect.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@hemiriffic)

Inman I think he wants to do the opposite ie: run a line out of the laptop into the drum machine ..... if he has to use the headphone out he could still adjust the output through windows....I run out of my computer through my amps without a problem ..... except from some neibors hehehehehe

Washburnn WI64D Pignose 150R Amplitube Revalver Guitar Rig Cakewalk Products Beer

ReplyQuote