Clear all

Amp + Attenuator + Mixer Cabling?

9 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@dhutson)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I received a new Blues Jr. for Father's Day (lucky me). However, my wife didn't realize it does not have a headphone jack. Since I have to practice at 6:00 (yes a.m.) I never get to use it. Thanks to previous postings, I know that a 25 watt Weber Mini Mass and a Behringer UB502 will provide me with a perfect solution. My newbie question is what kind of cable do I use to run from the Line-Out of the attenuator to the Line-In of the mixer? Is it speaker cable similar to the one from the attenuator to the Blues Jr. speaker, or is it instrument cable?

By the way, the couple of times on the weekend when I have been able to turn the Jr. on and up. . . IT IS COOL! Now if I could just learn to play, learn to sing, grow some hair, loose some weight, and find Jennifer Anniston's phone number. But then again I guess that would blow the whole Father's Day thing.

Thanks,
Dwayne

http://www.soundclick.com/wayneroberts

(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

You use instrument cable. I am not sure whether this Line-Out is balanced or not, it is on the higher end attenuators. I would go with a balanced TRS cable.

Balanced TRS (tip, ring, sleeve) Cable

Oh, and Happy Father's Day. That is what I call an awesome gift. Take that girl out to dinner.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Wow, hold a second! Does this mean you can send the signal from a tube poweramp into a attenuator into a PA, so basically getting a line-level signal of a post-poweramp signal? If so, how does that sound without using a cabinet? Do you need some cab sim to have it work?

Or in another word: can I get a head (read: epi valve head) and attenuator without getting a cab? I have a mixer and decent monitors and have little room for another cab in my appartment. Anyone any info?

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Depends on the attenuator. Most still need a speaker connected for the load. This is why I use dummyloads, I don't need a load on them, which allows me to connect with the line out's and/or stereo out options. The attenuators I use need to have a speaker load on them.

joe

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Joe: So basically that would allow one to record a full tube amp without any mics whatsoever? Could you give me some brands that have such items, or list what you use yourself?

ReplyQuote
(@dhutson)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Joe: So basically that would allow one to record a full tube amp without any mics whatsoever? Could you give me some brands that have such items, or list what you use yourself?

Arjen, Here is a link to the attenuator I have ordered (they come in several sizes): https://weberspeakerscom.secure.powweb.com/weber/minimass.htm

The unit contains a speaker motor and when set to maximum attenuation will serve as a dummy load. The line out is independent of the attenuation which may serve your purpose although I have no experience with this sort of thing.

/dwayne

http://www.soundclick.com/wayneroberts

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Dwayne (dhutson) and Joe are correct. You have to have the correct type of attenuator, there are different kinds.

Read this page from Weber, it explains there are basically two types of attenuator.

Weber Attenuators

You must always have a speaker load on a tube amp or you will damage the amp.

The resistor type cannot be used on a head by itself, as it does not provide a speaker load. The motor type does provide a speaker load and can be used with a head only.

So, the resistor type attenuator I own would not work for your purpose, however the speaker motor type would.

Yes, with the speaker motor type attenuator you could go from the line out on the attenuator into a PA mixer. This is a low level signal that will not damage your mixer or even another amp if you ran the signal into it. You would be able to get a cranked amp tone, and there is no need to mic the amp. With the attenuator turned to max attenuation you would probably hear no sound at all from your amp itself. With my resistor type attenuator this is not the case, you can always hear the amp, though it is very quiet and you could easily play your amp cranked in an apartment without disturbing your neighbors.

Of course even with my attenuator without a mic you are only going to receive the signal from the line out on the attenuator. So this could also be used if you were not mic'ing something else (like vocals) at the same time.

However, with both types of attenuator you will not truly get 100% the tone of a cranked tube amp, because much of the tone comes from the speaker itself being overdriven. But you do get the sound of the power tubes being driven into saturation.

Hope that didn't sound like a lot of double talk. :D

Wes

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Thanks people. I've been looking at the Weber MicroMass, that should be enough for a 5W head I'd guess. A shame hardly anyone here actually sells them so I can't try them out much if at all. But seems interesting enough, if it turns out to sound hopeless I have a 2x12" Jensen set laying around and I guess I can always use it as a overdrive pedal, in a way. I hope.

If anyone has a tube amp and one such attenuator, could you record a small clip? Would be much appreciated.

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Yes the right attenuator or Dummyload will allow you to run your tube amp at its sweet spot (as its called), line level into anything that will except a line level signal. I don't keep up so much anymore as I use to with all the different brands. I will offer the ones I use. Rocktron Juice Extractor, Palmer PDI-03 and PDI-05, and a custom built one by Paul Rivera. Anyone of these allow me to run my 100 watts amps at line level. Thats how I can create the tone I do at any level. I don't need to be loud volume wise. Thats what we use P.A.'s for. I want my sound right at my finger tips, I need to feel it.

Add in an Equalizer or two and good speakers. You'll open up a whole new world of tone. I've given the modeling amps a fair shake over the years, even used one or two for certain songs but in the end I always come back to where I first started. With a tube amp.

Joe

ReplyQuote