Clear all

Connect Valve Junior Head to my AMP?

17 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@robbie)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

So I bought an epiphone valve junior combo the other day so I could get that warm fuzzy feeling but the amp hummed so bad that I took it back today. In reading several sites I find that the problem is common, however I did like the tone and am told that the 5 W Valve junior head rather than the combo does not have the humming problem. Weird the combo amp seems to hum way more at home than it does at the store,tried it again there today. Question if I buy the head which has 4,8 and 16 ohm outputs can I then connect it to the power amp in jack on my Fender solid state with a 4 ohm 12" celestion speaker and effectively use that amp as a cab or do I have to buy a dedicated speaker cabinet. Just another nube tube question.
Robbie

(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

No you can not connect those amps that way. If you connect those together that way you take the chance of ruining both amps. You need to connect the speaker out or power amp out to a speaker, dummyload, or attenuator. The only way you could connect them would be to connect right to the speaker in the other amp.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

The fact that your amp hums more, at home, than in the shop, suggests that your mains supply is not earthed as well as it might be.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@robbie)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Thanx guys, so I can then jury rig another female jack to my fender that would accept the input from the head,leave it in place and connect to the head whenever? Is there any problem with joining on to the leads already goping to the speaker in my amp.
Or should I be disconnecting the present leads and only having one set at a time going to the speaker? I guess if I do that then it might as well be a male adapter that would go staright to the head.
Robbie

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Hey Robbie,

Check out this thread:
http://forums.guitarnoise.com/viewtopic.php?t=24133
It looks like drewsdad did the same thing you are thinking of. Maybe you should pm him to see exactly what you need to do.

Good luck,
Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@drewsdad)
Estimable Member

Robbie,

I took the safe route and disconnected the speaker leads from my Crate amp before I connected the valve junior head to the speaker. I made a quick jumper by putting wire leads on a mono 1/4 female plug and crimping the appropriate sized female slide connectors on the ends of the leads. It's quick, it's simple and it works well. Solder the leads to the 1/4 plug for a secure connection. The whole thing takes less than 10 minutes to do. If you get the polarity mixed up, just reverse the leads on the speaker, that's the nice thing about only having two leads - not a whole lot of choices to make. :D

Enjoy the valve junior, it's a lot of fun!

Life's journey can be hard at times, but you have to realize that you are the only one with the power make it a worthwhile experience.

ReplyQuote
(@robbie)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Thanx, one quick question: How come a female 1/4 rather than a male? No biggy I just thought that if it was male jumper it would then plug straight into the head right?
Robbie

ReplyQuote
(@drewsdad)
Estimable Member

That my friend, would work just as well as what I did. I used the 1/4 female because I wanted to use a speaker cable to connect the amp with the speaker. I'm going to build a 2X12 speaker cab later this summer, so I had already got the cable to hook it up. I put the short jumper with the plug on the speaker so I could leave it when I put the Crate back the way it was. I'll probably put a 1/4 male on the Crate's amp leads so that I can change things around whenever I want.

Life's journey can be hard at times, but you have to realize that you are the only one with the power make it a worthwhile experience.

ReplyQuote
(@robbie)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Ok I'll let you know how it goes when I get the Amp. The local store has to oreder it in.

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Make sure you use speaker cable to run from the amp to the speaker. Don't use a regular shielded guitar cable. Here's an example: I would have say a three foot speaker cable connected the speaker with a 1/4" male plug on it. If you made the speaker cable long enough it should plug right into the other head if you set it on top of the other amp. I would also on the amp that the speaker is in would be to install a 1/4" female plug in the amp so I could plug the speaker back into that amp to be able to use that amp like it is now.

This way you could use either amp.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@robbie)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Good idea Joe, will do! Thanx again guys

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Look in the back of your Fender. It is quite possible that the speaker simply plugs into the head with a 1/4" male jack. If so, you simply need a speaker cable with a male 1/4" to plug into your Epi amp, the other end needs to be a female 1/4" to accept the male jack from your Fender's speaker. To me, this would be the easiest and least expensive setup possible.

Then just set your Epi on top of your Fender as Joe suggested. :D

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@robbie)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

No such luck Wes, looks like I have to wire in the jacks myself, really no problem and as Joe suggests I can easily revert back to using the fender the original way.
Robbie

ReplyQuote
(@electrampc)

Hey, I'm new to these forums, but I saw this thread and I've been thinking of doing the same with my Crate Gx-65 amp; I never use it, and don't own a cabinet yet, but I'd still like to be able to switch between using it as a speaker cabinet and using it as a combo amp as it is now. I drew up a diagram of what I had in mind, tell me what you think, I'm not sure if it's right, I don't have a whole lot of experience with wiring this kind of stuff, but it seems like it would get the job done. I was planning on just cutting the wires to the speaker in half from the amp and wiring the top half to a switch and the bottom half would remain the wires going directly to the speakers. In the diagram, the red box is the part that I would add.

Thanks for any help you can give, and a really basic question, the tip of a speaker cable goes to the positive side and the sleeve goes to negative, right? I just assumed that, but you know what they say about when you assume...

ReplyQuote
(@drewsdad)
Estimable Member

Your arrangement looks like it would work as long a your wiring setup will only allow one amp to be in a completed circuit with the speaker at any given time. A switch would make it easier to A-B between your amps instead of changing jacks around. I wasn't real clear where everything was going on the wiring layout, but that's probably just my bi-focals. :D

Good luck and have fun!

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2