Clear all

Connectors

8 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@theangelkiss)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Anyone know if they make 1/4 inch -> xlr (i think they are called) connectors?

(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

What the application and which type of 1/4 in connector, TRS or TS?

-Greg

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@theangelkiss)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Not totally sure, I used to have a mixer with 1/4 mic jacks, so I bought xlr to 1/4 inch connectors. Long story short, the mixer is fried. I understand that most mixers are xlr nowadays, so im left with the xlr to quarter inch connectors. I was just wondering if there was a 1/4 in to xlr, so i could use my existing cables with a newer mixer. Hope that makes sense....

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Then you are looking for 1/4 (probably unbalanced, tip sleeve) FEMALE to XLR MALE? This is most probably a custom cable, plus, as it is not balanced, loses you noise immunity and 6 dB worth of signal level. It would be cheaper and better to buy new XLR-to-XLR cables, than adapt your old ones.

But ... Many mixers have both XLR and TRS (balanced) 1/4 in inputs. You should be able to use your old cables in at least some channels -- though, again, you will lose the noise rejection and 6 dB level, as noted above.

-Greg

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@theangelkiss)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Ah ok, yeah to prevent any hassle or anything ill probably just buy some new ones. Thanks man

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Quote: Anyone know if they make 1/4 inch -> xlr

Yes, I had to have them custom made, to patch a rack mounted Exciter/ Enhancer which was studio processor, I wanted to run my guitar signal through and it only had XLR in and outs. I also had XLR to RCA cables made which would allow more connection possibilities.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@theangelkiss)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hey joe, any idea of the cost? at least i know it can be done.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Pretty much anything can be done. but it is important to understand how balanced to unbalanced connectors should be made, as they are wired differently for different applications. Many times people assume just 'cause it is available off-the-shelf, it must be correct -- not always the case. Balanced connectors wired incorrectly can damage balanced output stages.

Rane has a great application note about this topic, including recommended wiring diagram for different connection scenarios. Note the wiring is directional (input to output):

http://www.rane.com/note110.html

Also notice that there are two types of 1/4 inch connectors: balanced (the professional audio version; looks like a stereo jack, but is not) and unbalanced (consumer version; same as guitar lead).

If I understand correctly, you really want a one-piece adaptor to convert a male 1/4 inch unbalanced to a male XLR -- not an entire cable assembly. These don't actually exist except as transformers that look like the needed adaptor do:

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F011%5F003%5F001%5F007&product%5Fid=274%2D017

This will work, but may roll-off the mic frequency response a bit, plus cost about $15 each. It is the safe, no-brainer way to do the conversion, but it really is a performance compromise for a lot of $$.

The best solution and actually least expensive solution would be to cut off the 1/4 inch connectors on one end of your (probably mic) cables and replace them with male XLRs. If you do this yourself, the cost is probably $6 a cable. Here is the connector:

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F011%5F003%5F001%5F007&product%5Fid=274%2D010

Correct wiring of this is easy, since it is XLR to XLR, it's the same in every application. See the Rane reference above.

-G

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote