Notifications
Clear all

HK Edition Blue 30R vs Spider II 30 vs Cube 30

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@zurgyboy)
Topic starter  

Afternoon all! I'm new to the board. This is my first post so please be gentle. I've been reading for some time now and I've gathered a lot of great information from all of you.

First a little about myself. I'm getting back into playing guitar again after about 10 years of no activity. I'm picking up where I left off..and where I left off wasn't too good. I guess you could call me a newbee to guitar. I have 4 guitars and a bass. Which I'll include in my sig if I ever get it started. I try to play mostly metal, 80s type thrash, but I like to play around with different styles and try to learn as much as I can.

I currently play my electrics through an old Fender Sidekick 15 Chorus. And it doesn't suit my style at all. I just purchased a Marshall microamp just to play around while I save up for a better sounding amp. My current budget is about 300 Euro. As you can see in the subject line I've narrowed my choices down to three amps. the Hughes and Kettner Edition Blue 30R, the Line 6 Spider 30 and the Roland Cube 30.

I know most of you will tell me to go with what I like the most. The problem is, I like all three. Since I've only been able to try them in store I was kinda embarrased to play around much since I really suck. What I'm looking for are warm cleans (no twang, if I want that I can use my fender) and nice distortion. The crazy effects and modeling are not very important. They are nice though. But quality tone is first for me. I can add crazy effects later if need be. I want something that sounds good both clean and distorted.

Of my two electrics, I play my new Jackson JS30-RR (Two HH) the most since it's my new toy and it sounds better than my old Squire Bullet.

I'm just looking for opinions about all three amps. There isn't much info about the HK on this forum. So if there are any of you out that have tried this amp or own it, please give your 2 cents. That amp is currently in the lead. That blue console just looks cool!

Thanks in advance!

(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

I've been very satisfied with my Cube 30 -- had it for over a year and use it mainly as a practice amp. It is a solid choice in it's market. It holds it's own in small to medium rooms even with a drummer. I think it does clean especially well, and the modelled amps are varied and useful. I prefer a tube amp, but the Cube 30 does very well for the price (paid about 230 US$). Unfortunately, I can't comment on the others ... no experience there.

-Greg

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote