Considering going wireless - Acoustic Guitar/Vocals

12 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@general-savage)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hi,
Has anyone got experience of going wireless with acousitc guitar and vocals as a solo performer? I'd be interested to know what your take is and which systems to look at?
Thanks
Frank

General Savage

(@leear)
Honorable Member

OUR LEAD SINGER OR OUR CHRISTIAN GROUP GOES WIRELESS HE HAS A SURE PG HEADSET AND A AKG WIRELESS INSTRUMENT.. NOT SURE ON THE SHURE PG BUT THE AKG RUNS ABOUT 180.00 I OWN IT TOO ITS PRETTY SWEET

No matter where you go.... There You are! Law of Location

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I own the Audio-Technica ATW-201 and really like it. It works well at distance, has never cut out on me, and delivers good clear tone, doesn't color my tone at all.

Audio-Technica ATW-201

You can spend a lot more and maybe get a more durable unit, but I think the quality of this unit is very good (and I have worked in Quality Assurance for 20 years). I would get the Neotech pouch that holds the transmitter, this pouch has strong Velcro straps and attaches right to your guitar strap, so I never have a problem with the cord being pulled out, too short etc....

I have not used this with my acoustics, but it does a great job with my electric guitars, and the price is great.

Haven't tried their wireless mic, but I would not be afraid to try it, I am very pleased with this product.

Best thing about a wireless is you can move around. I like that I can walk out front of the band and hear what we really sound like live, we adjust sound from the stage. I also like the fact I don't get tangled up in my guitar cords. :D

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@raystrack)
Estimable Member

This is a useful thread. I currently go from my electro acoustic into a tuner pedal, then looper then into the amp or PA. With one of these do I lose the chain and have to go straight into the amp or can I have the receiver plugged into the tuner?

http://www.raystroud.com
http://www.myspace.com/raystroud

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Raystrack

You don't lose anything. I go from my guitar to the transmitter (held on my guitar strap). The transmitter goes(wireless of course) to the receiver. From the receiver I go to the input on my tuner which is the first pedal on my pedalboard. I come out of the last pedal on the pedalboard and go to my amp. I usually set the receiver off to the side of the stage where it won't get stepped on and also get a good signal from the transmitter (you can put the receiver right on your pedalboard if you have room). But it is pretty hard to block the signal, I have walked in other rooms and the signal has never been blocked at all. I have used mine up to maybe 75 feet away. I have a buddy who uses a wireless, he walks all over the floor at gigs, mixes with the crowd, even walks outside at times and never has a problem. He puts the receiver on top of his amp.

They are really simple to use if you read the manual. With mine you set the gain so that the signal doesn't distort (has a clip light). You can also set it to use a weaker signal that works over a shorter distance but conserves the battery, or set it to work over greater distances but uses the battery quicker. The battery will last about 11-12 hours continuous at full power. I shut mine off (switch on the transmitter) when not playing, so it lasts 3 or 4 gigs easy. Mine has a light to show when the battery is getting low.

If someone else in your band uses a wireless, make sure to have a different frequency.

They are really simple to use and it's great getting to move around and not getting tangled in your cord. :D

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

A few years back I first bought a wireless guitar system called Guitar Bug for like $300. I tried if a couple of days and could not get that light audible hiss so I returned it. A couple of years later I came upon this one:

Shure SLX wireless guitar

Not a hint of noise or that it's wireless. :shock: As Wes said, wireless is good. At least one person in the band should be to hear the PAs every once in awhile.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@mrjonesey)
Honorable Member

Wes (or anyone else) - I went to GC for lunch to pick up a couple to pick up a couple of patch cable to get ready for a gig this week-end. Well, I started looking at their wireless systems (something I always wanted - but didn't want to spend a fortune on). I almost made it out the door with just the cables, but they offered my this for $160. I tried, but just couldn't say no (I hope the wife is in a good mood when I get home).

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Digital-Reference-DR2505-Guitar-Wireless-System?sku=270039

Did I make a mistake? I'm having just a bit of buyers remorse. I'm hoping it's a decent deal and that it doesn't affect my tone too muh. It's supposed to have good range and have fairly low cut-out (even though I don't think it is a "true diversity").

Also, how do I break it to Mrs Jonesey without having to camp on the couch for a couple of nights? :?

Thanks,

Jim

"There won't be any money. But when you die, on your death bed, you will receive total conciousness. So, I got that going for me. Which is nice." - Bill Murray, Caddyshack ~~ Michigan Music Dojo - http://michiganmusicdojo.com ~~

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Well, if I was good with wives I wouldn't be divorced. :D

I read some of the reviews on that unit, most were very pleased with it. I think the important thing is to read the manual carefully so you understand the operation.

Wireless systems are great. I don't know about you, but I move around a lot on stage. My cord always gets tied up in knots. So the wireless gets rid of that problem. And if you run the PA which is usually off to the side of the stage, you can't always get over to it with a cable. With wireless you can walk over and make adjustments, plus you can walk out front and hear what the band really sounds like.

You can have some fun too. I know of several players that walk out in the crowd when they play, the crowd loves it. I know one guy who will walk out of the club when playing a solo, great showmanship. :D

ReplyQuote
(@mrjonesey)
Honorable Member

I got home last night....took out the manual....set-up took about 10 minutes...then I was walking around the house and playing behind walls, closed doors, floors, etc and never a single drop, fuzz, interference, loss of tone, nothing. So far so good, it worked perfect. I'll try it out at the party we're playing at on Saturday (I'll bring my cable just in case). If this thing holds up, it will be one of the best purchases I have made in a long time (and there have been many).

Jim

"There won't be any money. But when you die, on your death bed, you will receive total conciousness. So, I got that going for me. Which is nice." - Bill Murray, Caddyshack ~~ Michigan Music Dojo - http://michiganmusicdojo.com ~~

ReplyQuote
(@mrjonesey)
Honorable Member

Quick update - it worked great at our gig on Saturday. I was able to roam around and through the crowd without and drop in signal, loss tone or interference. GREAT BUY! Placement of the reciever is key, however, as I was experiencing signal delay during sound check depending on where I was standing. I simply raised it up and moved it over, and it worked great all night. I love it!

Jim

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

Glad it worked for you! Signal delay, I'm sort of confused. It seems the signal should be sent immediately to the receiver.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

Glad it worked for you! Signal delay, I'm sort of confused. It seems the signal should be sent immediately to the receiver.
Well, if it is actually digital (as opposed to just using the word "digital" as a brand name to sound all high-tech) then there will be some small amount of processing delay (should be imperceptible).
But if the signal drops out, the receiver might hold onto some old samples or something. Dunno, just speculating.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote