Clear all

25W Bass amp Compared to 100W Guitar Amp

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@riff-raff)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I'm currently playing my bass through a Fender FM 212R and it sounds OK, but I'm wondering if I would get better tones from even a small 25 Watt bass amp.

I don't need tons of power, I never have my 212R above 4 unless I'm alone in the house. But I was thinking a bass amp might respond better to the lower frequencies. I saw a Crate BX25 bass amp for cheap on Craigslist. It's real cheap, so I'm not worried about being disappointed.

vink
(@vink)
Prominent Member

You can drive the bass amp hard .. you are supposed to play real soft if you use a guitar amp because you might blow the speakers as they are not designed to handle the low frequencies. (Anyway, that's my understanding, I have not tried to dig into the technical details).

--vink
"Life is either an adventure or nothing" -- Helen Keller

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Can you try it before you buy it?

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@riff-raff)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Can you try it before you buy it?

I do a lot of my Craigslist transactions in the parking lot of a donut shop :lol: :lol:
And, although it may sound great, I would really need to play it next to my 212R to compare the two. I think I may just buy it and if I bring it home and it's no better, I'll re-sell it on Craigslist. Won't be the first time I've done that.

ReplyQuote