Controlling bass &q...

Notifications
Clear all

Controlling bass "roar" from amp?

6 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@Anonymous)

I play a standard telecaster through a nearly new Crate 15W practice amp.  I have a problem with a sound I can best describe as a bass "roar" when I play chords that use the low E string, especially an open E.  I thought it was the pickup adjustment on the bass side, but lowering the pickup quite a bit did not get rid of the noise.
I even borrowed a friend's SG copy to see if humbuckers helped, but same problem.  
Is this a problem with cheap guitars, bad amps, or bad playing?
I have to turn the bass equalizer knob down to 2 to stand strumming chords through the amp
I can learn to play guitar unplugged, but I can't learn to play electric until I can understand how to use my amp...Help.

(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

I'll say Hi and welcome.

The little crate amps work well when you use some kind of pre-amp or multi effects pedals. when you run the just straight they seem to sound a little rough. I don't think the speakers are of that great of quality. They really can't take full volume very well. However they will push a larger cabinets just fine.

I have two that I was using for the other side of a stereo setup cause I was being lazy and not wanting to drag the stacks back from the studio and ended up shorting their life expectancies. Now whenever I use them, they make a noticeable vibration like something inside the amp itself or maybe the power supply can't Handel the load peaks.

Joe  

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

The problem is probably your Crate amp. I have owned Crate and could never get a tone I liked. Same with Peavey, but that's just me.

Now I own only Fender and Marshall amps, and they sound great. There is a reason the majority of your pros use Fender and Marshall, they are the best.

You are doing the right thing adjusting your Bass down to 2. If it sounds good, it is good. It really doesn't matter where your particular settings are.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

It's definately the cheap speaker.  I use mine with moderate volume and the bass rolled off a little, that usually takes care of it.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

If the speaker is the problem, can anyone recommend a good 8" speaker?
     There seems to be a few great 12" speakers (greenbacks and the like) but I can't find much to recommend any particular 8" speaker.  I suppose I could buy a cab, but that defeats the purpose of a small practice amp.

ReplyQuote
(@primeta)
Prominent Member

Have you looked at Jensen's, given their reputation, I'm sure it would work as well as any 8" could.  But you might consider just living with it and saving for a better all round amp.
You'll likely want something with a bit more 'punch' soon anyways.  :)

"Things may get a whole lot worse/ Before suddenly falling apart"
Steely Dan
"Look at me coyote, don't let a little road dust put you off" Knopfler

ReplyQuote