Craigs List Find/Score **Marshall VS65R**

6 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@dagwood)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Hey gang,

Welp.. I did it. I got my Marshall its a VS65R. Made in '96 I think.

Specs:
65 Watt Valvestate power stage into 1x12" speaker.
ECC83 [12AX7] pre-amp valve active on both channels.
Two separate channels 'Clean' and 'Overdrive'.
Treble, Middle and Bass controls plus Tone Shift switch for tonal options on the Clean channel.
Gain, Volume, Treble, Bass and dramatic Contour control on the Overdrive channel.
Built-in spring Reverb.
Headphone jack [which mutes the internal speaker].
Line Out jack for connection to external equipment.

Its nothing loud like my HotRod Deluxe as far as sheer volume goes but this baby is a MARSHALL!!!! Yeeeeeaaaahhhhh!!!

Now I can be like Angus and plug straight in... I love it hehehehe.

I'm going to test this baby out this afternoon and see how loud she'll go. I can't wait to get home.

Cheers

PS Harmony Central Linky

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Dagwood

Congrats on the new amp.

Yeah, now you've got Fender clean and Marshall crunch. Now just get an A/B switch to switch between the two. :wink:

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Hey there's an idea :) How would I hook that up? Guitar > A/B Switch > Split to both amps? That'd be cool, run them in Stereo? WHOA!!! Oh my neighbors would LOOOOVE me :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: I dare them to play their POLKA music now.

So I got home early this evening and plugged in... whoa! This thing is plenty loud, just as loud as I dare take my HotRod, but I'm sure the Dlx would blow it away.

Both volume pots on each channel seem to be "NORMAL" as compared to the Fender. More of a Linear curve to them, the volume slowly swells louder and louder so I run this round 4 or 5 compared to "2" on the HotRod.

The Contour control on the Dirty channel is interesting but I need more time to really figure out what it does. I guess it acts a lot like the MIDs control? Just a guess.

Anyhoo, for $125.00 I couldn't pass this "GEM" up. I was worried that it may have been stolen or worse, but when I showed up at the guys house he's a total Gear Head.. like 7 guitars, you could tell he's played on em alot, and a half dozen amps. He had a new VOX Amp and wanted to clear some room for a Vox Cab he had ordered.

So I took my Les Paul with me to test drive it. Plugged in, listened for any issues with the plug and twisted all the knobs for any dirty pots, they all turned smooth and noiseless. He even thru in a Footswitch. I dialed up both volumes to be balanced and clicked the foot switch... PERFECT.

I'm quite impressed with the clean channel on this and the reverb tank sound great too. So I brought it home, cleaned it with some Mother's Vinyl cleaner, pulled off the knobs, washed them, its a pretty clean amp for being almost 10 years old. There is a little tear in the tolex on the front down at the bottom, but nothing a lil super glue couldn't fix.

I'm so stoked I can't wait for this weekend... heck I might even call in sick tomorrow and kick some arse on this when my neighbors are at work.

If your STILL reading this.. WHEW!!! WHY?? (kidding). I know I'm rambling but I'll say this and shut up. THE USED MARKET IS SOOOO WORTH IT!! Check CraigsList or eBay or whatever, there are a lot of "GEMS" out there spattered amongst the "Duds". Diligence, knowing what you want and understanding the equipment are key to finding the gems.

Going to Pawn Shops and music stores and seeing used "CRAP" (both condition and build quality) will prep you when you see something in Good to Great Condition.

I've wanted a Marshall amp for a long time, but wasn't willing to pay full price. I was patient and it paid off, I'm glad I waited for this one.

Cheers,
Dagwood :)

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Dagwood,
if you want both amps, at the same time, you'll need to get an A/B/Y switch - an A/B is just either/or.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Another thought would be to use a pre-amp with stereo outs.

joe

ReplyQuote
(@bobblehat)
Reputable Member

The contour control is pretty neat.If you want a modern chunky metal rythm sound then crank the contour all the way up, if you want A traditional Angus Young then have it at about 4-5.(Use this setting for solos as they sound a lot crisper)Not sure what it does at technical level but its something to do with scooping out the mid frequencies.If you haven't got the handbook you can down load it from the Marshall website.I have a VS100R and if Rocks your thing then their awesome.If you got the footswitch then make sure you take care of it because they can be a little fragile.

Enjoy.

My Band: http://www.myspace.com/thelanterns2010
playing whilst drunk is only permitted if all band members are in a similar state!

ReplyQuote