vintage speaker identification

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
 xg5a
(@xg5a)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

I have a vintage 1960's Gibson 4x10" column speaker that I play guitar through. I've had it for about 2 years, and absolutely love the sound of it. It has fender-like speakers, but in a sealed cabinet, giving it searing highs, tight bass, and more volume than an open-backed cab. My "head" runs on 3 12AX7's and 2 6L6's, so it's basically like a super reverb setup. The cab also puts a speaker up real high, so it's easy to hear onstage even when it's on the floor. My only complaint has been that it looks awful silly onstage with my little pignose tube combo powering it. Also, since the speakers are in 1 row, the cab tends to be a bit directional. I have always wanted to get another column to complete my set, and give a little better dispersion of the sound. Recently, I had that opportunity, and bought another one.
When I first bought the first one, I noticed that the speakers have silver dust caps. I opened the cab up, but the speakers were unlabeled. The baskets had the same cutout pattern as the old Utah speakers that used to come in Fender Super Reverb amps. Also, the cab sounds a lot like a vintage super. Therefore, I assumed that they were Utahs. Through research when buying the second cab, however, I found out that speaker manufactuers used to put a number code on their speakers. I was intrigued, and opened up the first cab again.(i didn't get the second one yet) This time I wrote down the code. Turns out that the code is 10J4-7 465-406. From what I researched, the 465 stands for the manufacturer-Oxford. The 406 is the year and week that they were made. 1964, the 6th week of the year. The 10J4-7 is the model number.
Next, I went on e-Bay and put in "Oxford speaker." I found some that had been taken out of a Super Reverb. The code was 10J4-6 465-614. The only difference is that these don't have silver dust caps.
I'm guessing that the 6 versus 7 in the model number designates the silver dust cap. Mine are a little older, too.
My reason for posting this: Does anyone know anything about Oxford speakers? I haven't really heard of them much before. Also, has anyone ever seen speakers like the one in my column? I'd love to pick up some more.

I also haven't gotten the second column yet. I can't wait hear the two of them together. I hope it has the same speakers, too.

Here's the link to the speakers on e-Bay: http://cgi.ebay.com/4-FENDER-OXFORD-10-SPEAKERS-SUPER-REVERB-1976-HARNASS_W0QQitemZ7391152896QQcategoryZ121165QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

These folks may be helpful if you contact them.

The Speaker Shop

Cold Springs Electrical Works

Michael's Village Music

Joe

ReplyQuote