Clear all

delay an reverb

6 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@uninvited)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

hi..is it required or nonsense to use both delay and reverb effects on the same sound ?..also is there any stereotyped reverb or delay models according to the music style.? thanks

(@doug_c)
Reputable Member

hi..is it required or nonsense to use both delay and reverb effects on the same sound ?Both together might become pretty "spacy," maybe even a little confusing as to what you had played versus what the system was doing. I'd suggest trying one or the other, and dialing them in gradually until it sounds good to you.
also is there any stereotyped reverb or delay models according to the music style.? thanksAgain, it's what might sound good to you (and your listeners). Got access to tab for "Rumble" by Link Wray? (There are some pretty easy chords in that.) It was an instrumental that came out around 1958, and used some reverb and tremolo. (And Wray also punched holes in his amp's speaker for a "fuzz" tone, but don't try that at home, kids.) It was part of the soundtrack for the 1996 movie "Independence Day." Its style? Rock; "stroll."
Sometimes with "commercial" sheet music, the stuff with all the copyright information at the bottom, you may see "w/reverb" or something similar above the staff (standard notation). For example, a Pink Floyd song might include notes on how to set a digital delay for best results. Most of the time, though, you just have to experiment.

Almost any style may employ some effects for some songs. I hate to make a vague pronouncement like that, but effects are like seasoning in food: a little may be very good, and too much can be terrible. On rare occasions, "lots of everything" may be what you want, but that might be more of a studio situation, where you can still keep the effects from taking over the song.
Just keep fiddlin' with the dials until it sounds good. 8)

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Reverb and chorus can be used together. A deep reverb (Hall) with a very short delay can get you the classic Country Slapback effect. Very nice with clean guitar tones.

As Doug said, experiment until you find tones that sound good to you. There are no rules on this.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@uninvited)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

thanks Doug C and Wes..i ll go on experimenting for the best ;)

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

I've been using a pretty deep reverb with some panning stereo delay for a while, sounds great. Example, I bend the 14th fret 3st string up to the 16th fret while also playing the open 2nd string. When they are in tune I dive with the whammy and the delay creates a big 'tail/wave' that adds up to a massive howling sound. Bring it all back up and the sound gets somewhat close to normal. Really awesome.

General answer: try everything you can think of. And if noone else does it you'll just have to be the first. Stay creative! As to this specific combo, part of a reverb sound is delay so if you add a seperate delay and don't set the tempo correct it will create a weird impression of room dynamics. Could be what you're after, or it might not be so. Just try it and see what happens. :D

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

I created a web page with a couple images from the editor I use on my laptop to program the effects processors and midi pedal. These images are from the preset I call Blues Motel. The parameters for either effect change preset to preset depending on the tone and style. These are only two of the effects, that were asked about, which are used in conjunction with the many other effects needed to create a certain tone which are idolized for a certain style.

I have pretty much unlimited presets to choose from, not including the different equalizer settings. I have it narrowed down to around 40 which I use often and about 10 that I use everyday. I also create new one's when I'm beyond reality. The entire possibility of logical and scientific thought rests upon a structure which was formed unconsciously.

Screen Shots

I look at the use of different effects either single or combined as personal choice and the one's needed to create a certain sounds or tone.

Joe

ReplyQuote