Clear all

Distortion??? How do I get the sound!

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@bob-squires)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I posted the following on the Beginners Q&A Forum yesterday and got Zero replies. Now it is so far down the list I don't think anyone will click on it, so.... I am hoping someone at this forum can direct me.

I hear the term "Distortion" used often - I understand that it is a distinct sound you achieve from an amp 8)

How is this accomplished :?:

I have a Peavey Classic 30 it has the following control knobs:
Normal
Pre
Bass
Middle
Treble

It also has a Boost and Channel Push Button switches.

What do I adjust to get DISTORTION :?:

Thank you in advance :)

BS

(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

To get distortion from a tube amp, you crank the volume until it starts breaking up, however, is cam get pretty loud when you do it. I'd reccommend putting it on channel two(usually the distiortion channel) and turning up the pre, and/or post knobs while keeping the normal(if its volume) kinda low. Another option is to get an effects pedal (the Boss DS-1 is probably the most popular and not too expensive: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=guitar/s=effects/search/detail/base_pid/151258/ ) or an anettuator(it controls the volume so you can crank the amp without blowing out your ears) http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=guitar/s=amps/search/detail/base_pid/481283/ this one is definitly more expenisive. Sombody else who has a real Classic 30 could probably tell you better.

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@shift)
Estimable Member

You have 2 channels on the amp. One will be the clean channel, the other one is the distortion channel. Put it on the distortion channel.

Turn up the Pre, which will control your distortion. Use the Post to control the actual volume.

ReplyQuote
(@bob-squires)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks Yoyo286 and Shift

BS

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

There's different was to create distortion. As suggested set the 1st channel up for a nice clean setting. Set the 2nd channel up for overdrive/distortion. To do this on the 2nd channel without any external equipment. Turn the tone stack to their mid points, turn the pre amp control to about 8 and turn the post volume anywhere from 0 to 2 1/2. this will give you pre amp distortion at low volume. Adjust the tone stack to flavor.

If your looking for that classic overdrive output sound that so many guitarist crave you'll need to turn the post control up loud enough till the amps output tubes start to sage/ saturate and the speakers begin to break out. You'll know when you've achieved this because the amp will sound really sweet and you'll feel the notes you play right at your finger tips. That setting will be loud, the post control will need to be somewhere between 4 and 8. One thing you may want to think about betting is an attenuator, which will allow you run the amp at it's saturation point at lower volume levels.

There's plenty of attenuators on the market. Altair, sholz power soak, hot plate, weber mass to name a few. They are pieces of equipment every guitarist should have and know how to use right along with their other effects. Another piece of equipment you might want to think about would be a equalizer, this is also a must have for a guitarist.

Hope this helps

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@bob-squires)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks Joe - Had a change to give it a go today - I now know distortion - friend helped "fine-tune" the directions during a jam session today.

BS

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Your welcome, glad to hear thing worked out.

Joe

ReplyQuote