Clear all

Double question: Crate CA 15 Cimarron amp and Dean Markley

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I made a round of Music Store and Pawn Shop stops today and have a couple of questions. I found a pre-owned, but new-in-box Cimarron 12+ or 15W RMS acoustic amp, but didn't try it. It has an 8" speaker only, but has a tweeter also. I was surprised or disappointed that there are no effects like all the COSM modeling choices onboard my tiny Roland 20 Cube. So, has anyone owned or heard this Crate amp, and have an opinion? Oh, I don't mean for practice, but for Coffee Shops.

Secondly, I have seen these Dean Markley Pro Mag, single coil-in-maple pickups just about forever, but never knew anyone that owned one either. Are they any good? Thanks! :D

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Don't know about the amp but used to own a Dean Markley. I didn't like the way the cable dangled and you have to make sure you have a standard sized sound hole. My old acoustic had a small hole and I had to mod the pickup. I ended up hard wiring it into the guitar and installing a jack, but for what it was it worked fine and sounded OK.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

TR, I do appreciate your answer, and have decided not to get the pickup, even though it is only $25. I dont need that problem with the wire. Also Harmony Central reviewers consistently talked about low volumes, bassiness, a wooden muffled tone, certainly unlike the glassiness, sparkle and bell-like quality that the reatailers present, per the Dean Markley Description. Actually, this explains why I have not seen one in use, among plugged-in players where I have been.

I wanted it to go on an aged Sigma by Martin DR-3 at a Pawn Shop for a steal, wonderful sounding guitar! Big boom there, unmistakable tone and projection. So, I guess I dont need the $100 Crate amp either. Gonna keep the status quo.

I thought I was working my way towards the 15 - year dream of a Taylor and a Fender Acoustasonic, but my Family & Civil lawyers have just taken the potential price of 4 Taylors and 2 Martins from me in the last while. :shock: :cry:

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote