Notifications
Clear all

effects chain

9 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@confused-dude)
Topic starter  

Anyone out there a signal path pro? My floor pedal set up got large on me and although I dig the sound it seems like it could be cleaned up.

Thanks

(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Welcome to GN!

I think some of the Ancient Masters fo Tone here could help better if you described your situation better. What do you have, what do you need, any complaints about any units, what kind of music do you play, what's the rest of your gear etc.

ReplyQuote
(@confused-dude)
Topic starter  

I'm happy with my set up and sound just wondering if there is something to make it a little cleaner. I've got the path set up in based on my live set. Not playing out anymore and just doing home recording. Anyway here is my chain:

Morley Bad Horsie Wah - MXR Super Comp - MXR Flanger - Boss DD3 Delay -Maxon AD80 Delay - Vodoo Lab Analago Chorus - Ibanez Tube King - Vodoo Lab Tremolo - Electric Mistress Flanger - Boss Tuner & out from my Pedal Pad board to my Mark IV Boogie.

Any suggestions are appreciated!

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Confused Dude

There is no right or wrong to this.

Me, I'd start with the tuner first. I like the tuner to get a noise free, undistorted signal from my guitar's pickups. But that's me.

Then, I think most would line the Wah up first, then distortions and comp. Then modulations like chorus or phase, then time based pedals like Delay last.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

Then of course, you have no EQ pedals in there, or an EQ rack listed. Some will say that you need some EQ'ing in there to adjust out bad or noisy frequencies.

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Stefan has a good explanation here:

https://www.guitarnoise.com/article.php?id=227

Laz

ReplyQuote
(@tsarcazm)

I'm happy with my set up and sound just wondering if there is something to make it a little cleaner. I've got the path set up in based on my live set. Not playing out anymore and just doing home recording. Anyway here is my chain:

Morley Bad Horsie Wah - MXR Super Comp - MXR Flanger - Boss DD3 Delay -Maxon AD80 Delay - Vodoo Lab Analago Chorus - Ibanez Tube King - Vodoo Lab Tremolo - Electric Mistress Flanger - Boss Tuner & out from my Pedal Pad board to my Mark IV Boogie.

Any suggestions are appreciated!

Man, were yo playing a lot of Hendrix or somethingg? Great setup dude!

i alwyss thik of the Hendrix signal path - guit to filter to distortion to amp - which is sorta like you have it. all the 'filters' (wah, flang, chorus) bfore the tube king. maybe put the VL trem and EM flaanger beore that too, though i know it's good to drive intoo the filters sometimes. puts an edge on it more noise tho sometimes cause its high gain going into ssomthing that'l resonate the noise. fileters will hum all by themselvse sometimes though.

one thing to quiet up the gear for recording is to taek 'em off AC. i also took all the individual efects off thee board so it would be easier to mix-match stuff and use just wat i needed for a trakc.

Thats how i think of a signla path though: strat-vox-fuzzface-marshall.

Practice; don't ask, just practice

ReplyQuote
(@confused-dude)
Topic starter  

Thanks everyone! I appreciate the suggestions!

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

Im a bit late here. I have good results if my delays are last on the chain.
I run my vol pedals in front of that after all the others.

the delay being last gives one a nicer decay when switching it on /off/or changing to another delay mode.

delay last is nice becuase all the other sound shaping effects are not being affected.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote