Notifications
Clear all

effects loop on a fender acoustasonic sfx II

11 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@atekjunkie)
Topic starter  

I was wondering, this may sound dumb but i am a newbie. I recently got the fender acoustasonic sfx II, an love it and the effects are great too. But I bought an effects pedal this weekend its the yamaha magicstomp (acoustic) and was wondering what the deal is with the effects loop? Currently I have that pedal in line with my guitar to the guitar input of the amp. Is it better to hook it in the effects loop? Or leave it in line the way it is now? If it is better the way it is now, what would you use the effects loop for?

(@duffmaster)
Noble Member

Most people say if you have an effects loop use it. Some say using the effects loop improves you sound.

Who needs a signature?
I mean really...
It's almost always lyrics...
or a cliche...
or garbage about me...
Lets just save YOU from the pain, ok?

ReplyQuote
(@primeta)
Prominent Member

Try it both ways, IIRC many people prefer using the efx loop with time based effects like delay.

"Things may get a whole lot worse/ Before suddenly falling apart"
Steely Dan
"Look at me coyote, don't let a little road dust put you off" Knopfler

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

depends on how it affects yer effects :P
seriously tho, if you get any kind of extra hum or noise the effects loop should be rigged to eliminate that.
also you should check if the effects loop is pre amp EQ, effects so you can adjust for that as well.
i almost bought one before i decided on the Fishman instead and i'm pretty sure i remember those loops being post signal from the onboard effects but i'm not sure.

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@atekjunkie)
Topic starter  

OK I think I see, I got another question now. I looked in my amp book and to use the effects loop i have to get a TRS adapter (tip = send ring = return) I found one on musiciansfriend.com I think, but now the question is do I have to use a stereo cable>? It all seems complicated to me SHHESH! This is the adapter I think I need right? http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/General/Accessories/Cables?sku=330161

If so the ouputs seem to say there stereo too if thats the case dont you gotta use stereo cables to connect the effects pedal? such as this one http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/General/Accessories/Cables?sku=333001

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

atekjunkie

First off, what make and model multi-efx pedal do you have? Does it have two inputs and two outputs?

If your pedal has two inputs, you would need two mono cables to use with the adapter you showed, then into each input on the pedal. Then, if the pedal has two outputs you will need two mono cables coming out into another adaptor like you showed (TRS) back into the amp.

That adaptor is designed to split a stereo signal into two seperate mono signals.

If your pedal has just one input and one output, then you would need the stereo cables (TRS and male on both ends) you showed. One going into the pedal, and one to go back out to your amp.

So it all boils down to what type of inputs and outputs you have on that pedal.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

atekjunkie

I just went to Yamaha and looked up the manual on your Stompbox.

http://www.yamaha.co.jp/manual/english/result.php

Just type in "stompbox" without the quotes on the search and your manual will come up.

On pages 10, 11, and 12 it shows how to connect this pedal to various devices.

If I understand correctly, you would need one mono cable with male jacks on both ends. This would come out of your amp into the input on the Stompbox. Then, you would need two mono cables male on both ends coming out of the two outputs on the Stompbox to go into the splitter you showed from Musician's Friend. This would combine both mono signals back to stereo. Then the male TRS end would go back into your amp. It is the Stompbox that produces the stereo effects, so you do not need a stereo signal going into the Stompbox.

Hope this helped.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@atekjunkie)
Topic starter  

Well I'd like to ty all for your input, I finally broke down and called guitar center. I think what was so confussing was this, the amp has a insert on each channel for the effects loop. But it is the send and recieve combined into one jack, so you use that adpter in the insert it then gives you 2 lines out one goes to the input of the pedal the other is for the output of the pedal, then you just plug in your guitar like normal. Sheesh why they gotta make things so complex! thanks guys!

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

wow that seems weird to me, mine just has an in and an out for each channels effects loop. sure you have to have short 1/4-1/4 connectors but you can get them anywhere. i don't remember seeing the Y types

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@atekjunkie)
Topic starter  

If you look here page 8 of the acoustasonic sfxII manual http://www.fender.com/support/manuals/pdfs/manuals_elec/guitarpdf/Acoustasonic_SFX_II.pdf you will see what I am talking about. The effects loop is a insert jack on the instrument channel its it input and output in the same jack, thats the reason for the funky connection.

ReplyQuote
(@atekjunkie)
Topic starter  

Well this weekend I went to guitar center and got all the stuff to hookup that pedal in the effects loop, and I must say it works and sounds alot better that way! So to answer my own question, yes the yamaha magic stomp acoustic is a great pedal just make sure you use it in the effects loop instead of in-line you will get better sound quality.

ReplyQuote