Clear all

Effects loop?

6 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@randmanq)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I've looked for information and im having a hard time understanding what an effects loop is. It comes with my deville but i dont know how to use it/or really what it is. any help?

It's All we could hope for

(@dagwood)
Noble Member

As far as I understand it and Efx loop is useful in a few applications.

One you can plug in a MultiFx Box, like a Digitech GNX3k or Boss GT8 or something similar into the Loop bypassing the Preamp and use your amp only for a Power amp.

The second and more traditional way is to create an Efx chain with this loop.

An example of popular, proven loop would be.

Guitar -> Gain Efx (Distortion, OD, EQ, etc) -> Amp ->Loop Out -> Timing Efx (Delay, Reverb, Phaser) -> Loop IN.

Here's an article about Efx Chains and what not.
http://www.thestompbox.net/Home/ViewArticle.aspx?ArticleID=28

Plus there are other articles about Efx there too.

My thoughts and perhaps someone else could give a more technical answer?

D-

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Your amp consists of two parts - the pre-amp and the power amp. The power amp is what creates the loudness (and, in tube amps, a lot of the great tone) and the pre-amp "conditions" the signal from the guitar, so that it is "power-amp ready". The pre-amp, particularly in tube amps, is also responsible for tone (think overdrive or distortion). You can put a line of effects between guitar and pre-amp, e.g equaliser, wah, etc., etc., but there are some effects (primarily time based effects) that are best after the pre-amp stage (and after the overdrive/distortion from the pre-amp has been created). With a simple amp set-up, you can't do that - the pre-amp outputs straight into the power amp. The effects loop is the answer - it detours the signal, output by the pre-amp to the "fx loop out" jack socket (but only if there is a jack plug inserted). You can, now, add your effects and send the output back to the power amp, via the "fx loop in" socket.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@randmanq)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

i still dont get really how to apply this method with my phaser pedal

It's All we could hope for

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Effects loop out to pedal in, pedal out to loop in.

joe

ReplyQuote
(@aroundtheclaxon)
Estimable Member

id say just plug and play dude does ur amp even have an fx loop jack? if it does then just put a cable from that to the input and then from the output of the pedal to the input of the amp there u have it ur fx loop

Head Arcitech at Vandelay Instudries

ReplyQuote