Clear all

Electric Amplifier Question

7 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@sgincyqx)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Well, my Washburn WA20 acoustic amp has served me well, and I will definitely be keeping it, but I've decided I'd like a real, live electric combo.

I'd like to have one in the 30-40 watt range, tube or solid-state, and preferably under $1000 Canadian.

I will be running an Epi SG with EMG active pickups through it, along with a Digitech RP300 multi-effects pedal, and occasionaly maybe plugging my acoustic-electric into it.

The most important thing to me is an absolutely sparkling clean channel. Distortion and gain channels are not so important because I'll use my pedals for that. Would also be very nice to have two inputs, and I mean two standard inputs, not a high-gain one and a low-gain one.

P.S: Please don't reccomend an Epiphone Valve Junior, it's just not big enough. If the EVJ has a 30-watt bigger brother, however, that's a possibility :twisted:

Thanks much and Rock On.

Ethan

Ewan McGregor: I said, "Eve, I want you to look after my wedding ring while I'm away," and she started to cry and I said, "Eve. Eve, I can't wear my ring or I won't get laid on the trip!"

(@dhutson)
Estimable Member

Check out the Epiphone Blues Custom. If I am not mistaken its a 2x12 that switches between 15 and 30 watt. Nice clean and bluesy overdrive.

I use a 15 watt Fender Blues Jr. and like it very well.

/dwayne

http://www.soundclick.com/wayneroberts

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

"Sparkling clean" = Fender, yes.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@sgincyqx)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks guys, I was looking at a Hot Rod Deluxe the other day. It's giving me killer gas :evil:

Thanks and Rock On

Ethan

Ewan McGregor: I said, "Eve, I want you to look after my wedding ring while I'm away," and she started to cry and I said, "Eve. Eve, I can't wear my ring or I won't get laid on the trip!"

ReplyQuote
(@citizennoir)
Noble Member

See there, I knew you had great tonal taste. :)

The HR Deluxe is one of the Fender "tube" amps that I like.
It's much warmer than most fender tube amps, which is why I like it.
It seems to have a nice clean channel and gets pretty loud for 40 watts.
I quoted Tube because it has pre/power tubes.
A solid state rectifier/not a tube rectifier.
And is not point to point handwired, rather it has printed circuit boards.
Is that a bad thing????
Certainly not.
You get great tube tone with the added reliability of newer technology.
Probably a much better giging amp than say a Marshall 1974.

Fender reissued (last year????) the amp that evolved into the Hot Rod Deluxe - The (non-lacquered) Tweed Blues Deluxe.
Same size - different circuitry. No "More" drive setting.
Clean and Drive channels.
I haven't run across one yet, though from what I understand, the drive channel is pretty useless. (Which is why they came
up with the HR w/More Drive) The clean channel though, when turned up starts to get a nice overdrive to it.
Kinda like how a vintage tube amp would.
People have complained of a lack of head room though - as I guess it starts to break up at relatively low volume on the
clean.
Sounds like my kinda amp :D

What happened to the L5 idea????
Just wonderin.

Ken

EDIT - Check out the Pre amp vs. Power amp distortion thread in this (amp) post. If you haven't already - FANTASTIC!!!!

"The man who has begun to live more seriously within
begins to live more simply without"
-Ernest Hemingway

"A genuine individual is an outright nuisance in a factory"
-Orson Welles

ReplyQuote
(@sgincyqx)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

There is no way I'll be coming home with this particular HRD anytime soon. It's priced at $849 Canadian, which is way out of my league.

I have recently become obsessed with the L5, so that's most likely what I'll end up with

Oh, yeah, the coolest thing about this HRD? It's white 8)

I like to be different :lol:

Thanks again

Ethan

ReplyQuote