Epiphone valve junior

13 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
 Hook
(@hook)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Anyone who have tried one of theese? Seems like a great deal if they sound somewhat descent.
I know that they hum alot but i hope that is berable.

Do they really sound good? For that price, where is the catch?

If anyone have some clips that would be great.

(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

We've talked about these amps a lot. I'm sure the articles are still in the archives.

I'm quite happy with mine. Hum and all.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
 Hook
(@hook)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Oh, yeah i just saw that search function is back. Great.

I also wonder how loud it is when just starting to break up, is that loud enough to couse problems with my apartment neighbours?

Thanks

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Yes, it's loud enough to get my wife yelling at me to turn it down.

You can put an overdrive pedal in front of it for preamp breakup at lower volume.

ReplyQuote
(@flashback)
Reputable Member

Awesome little amp, I got one for a christmas present. It has great low volume cleans. But to me it has a more Honk sounding noise. Maybe its my pickups. But I put an EQ and OVerdrive pedal in front of it and get alot of tones.

Enjoy if you buy. The hum is bearable to me. Makes great feedback oppurtunities.

GN's resident learning sponge, show me a little and I will soak it up.

ReplyQuote
(@steves)
Estimable Member

As Ricochet said, there's other threads on this recently. I've got the Valve Special. Love it. Retube immediately upon purchase.

Steve

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I'm OK with the Sovtek tubes that came in mine.

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Hmm, that would be a great classic-sounding steel-guitar amp, huh?

ReplyQuote
 Hook
(@hook)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Great!

Flashback: "But to me it has a more Honk sounding noise."
I dont really understand what you meant by this. But it doesnt sound promising. ;)

I'm a little worried that it will be to loud. Maybe you could get it quieter by changing to a less sensitive speaker.

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

I played around with a Valve Jr. at GC, and for 5 watts they are really loud. Way too loud for my wife. :(

Anyone know how difficult it would be to use an attenuator with one of these amps? I think some modding would be required, and I don't recall the speaker being very accessible.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Hmm, that would be a great classic-sounding steel-guitar amp, huh?That's exactly why I bought mine. It's just like one of the little steel guitar amps from the '40s-'50s.

I think it's missing the whole point of this little basic amp to start loading it up with effects, attenuators and such. Take it for what it is, a basic little amp that's clean at low volume, gets loud and then breaks up when you crank it. That's the way people played back in the '50s when amps like this were common.

If you want crunch at low volume, there are other amps with master volume setups that'll let you do that. Musicians Friend may still have a few of those Epiphone Galaxie 10s.

ReplyQuote
 xg5a
(@xg5a)
Honorable Member

Wow, reading this thread has intrigued me, and I just read a bunch of positive reviews about it for a while now. Sure seems like a good deal, doesn't it. I love the whole minimalistic style to it, plus the external speaker jack. Perhaps if they have them on sale at MF or something, i'll buy one!

ReplyQuote
(@slothrob)
Reputable Member

My experience with the Galaxie 10 was that it too had quite a honk with my SG (humbuckers) but more chime with my Tele. By the time I had learned how to use the honk I changed the tubes to JJ's and the midrange smoothed out nicely.

ReplyQuote