Clear all

EQ's in the chain (HR-Deluxe)

7 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@dagwood)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I'm a bit confused about all the EQ's in an effect/pedal chain.

No not the reason why, I understand that part ok. Its the physical mechanism(s).

So when I see someone suggest something like this for a chain:

EQ> Compressor > EQ > Distortion Pedal (for example)

Are you telling me one should have 2 seperate EQ pedals in there to make this a 4 pedal chain?

Or are we using the EQ settings on the seperate pedals? (if they have them). Or are we talking about the Amps EQ first, then the Compressor > EQ Pedal > Distortion)?

Oh and the amp I'd use would be an HRD.

Another question... If I may about the HRD, I'm also wondering, If I were to attenuate it for lower volume play, would a distortion or overdrive pedal be necessary since I'll be able to get the Valves Saturated with it?

Perhaps I just need to experiement a bit?

Thanks for any input guys/gals.

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Yes, we are talking about having an equalizer between every stage. The tone stack of the amp is another eq which is between the preamp and the power amp. There are different types of distortion. This is were experimenting by placing a distortion pedals in the chain between eq pedals or using stereo rack mounted units to decide what you like. Attenuators can be used or adjusted to create different tones and volumes.

I use nine graphic equalizers and three digital equalizers. one dummy-load, seven attenuators, three power amps, two guitar amps. What I have is numerous signal chains combined/mixed to create one for an over all sound. This setup and equipment changes often because I'm always searching for something.

joe

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I use nine graphic equalizers and three digital equalizers. one dummy-load, seven attenuators, three power amps, two guitar amps.

and that's on his MP3 player!!! :lol: :lol:

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Hey Joe, how about writing an introduction-article to the world of EQs? These questions pop up all the time and you seem to know more then enough to turn it into a wicked article.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Dagwood

Yeah, Joe uses lots of EQs (and other stuff too).

My setup with my HRD is very simple. I just have;

Guitar -> Zoom GFX-1 Multi Effects Pedal -> Danelectro 7 Band EQ -> Amp (instrument input 1 or 2)

I use the EQ to tighten up the tone, especially the bass. The HRD has a huge bass that tends to be boomy. With a heavy distortion (like Daryl Dimebag for instance) you can get some unpleasant low frequency rumble. It is almost a feedback.

With the EQ I can tighten up the bass. It is still big and fat without any rumble or fart (excuse the term).

I also use the EQ to take just a little bit off the very high frequencies. This takes out any harshness or piercing highs. The HRD can be piercing.

I have set the EQ on my GFX-1 to flat on every preset. It doesn't really affect the tone of my guitar or amp at all. I have found a great EQ setting on the Dano pedal that works for just about every preset. If not, I can easily adjust the EQ with the pedal in seconds. So that is another nice thing about these pedals. You simply move the sliders and hear the immediate effect. Real easy to get great tones fast.

Another place I have used the EQ pedal is in the effects loop. I just came out of the Pre-Amp out into the EQ pedal, then out of the EQ pedal into the Power-Amp In on the amp. This works real well too. This allows you to fine-tune your tone much better than the Bass, Mids, and Treble tone stack on your amp.

Whether you use many EQs like Joe, or just one like myself, I think you will find it much easier to get those great tones we are always searching for out of your amp. :D

As far as using an attenuator with the HRD, it will not give you more distortion or gain. But it allows you to crank the amp to where it is really going wild. This is when this amp sounds awesome. You will find the tone to be warmer, and thicker, especially on the Drive channels. You will get fantastic sustain. You can even get feedback at low volume. Even playing rhythm your chords will really sing.

But the attenuator will not give you a Heavy Metal type distortion. You will need a good distortion pedal for that. The HRDs Drive channels will always sound more like a late 60's or 70's overdrive. Very similar to the tone that Carlos Santana uses. But with the attenuator you will be able to do Santana easy. Stevie Ray Vaughn too!

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Awesome Thanks guys,

Joe, You crack me up. I'm the same way except for computer stuff, I got gadgets and bits everywhere.

Wes Thank You sir. I've read your posts regarding the HRD and Your posts have convinced me to use an attenuator so's to get the lower volume, yet saturated sounds. I also realized I'd need a stomp box for those metal type sounds.

My Local shop here has some of those cheapo (priced) Danelectro's which I think I'll pick up this weekend. As far as my HRD, I pick her up tonight and I can barely wait to get out from work so's I can get it home and plug in.

Thanks again everyone.

Rock'n till the dawn for a few days.
Dagwood

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Many guitarist overlook Equalizers. My opinion is an EQ should be the first pedal anyone should get. Without them a guitarist can not take control of their signal chain. An Equalizer is a tool that can be used to shape the tone of a sound. Even the slightest shift of one of the frequencies bands makes a huge difference in your tone. The use of different EQ curves can drastically effect the out come of your sound. They can also be used to overcome deficiencies in units used in your signal chain or guitar rig by allowing boosting or cutting of a range of frequencies. Having a couple EQ's is essential for guitar tone research.

When you place an eq before and another eq after the different stages in a signal chain you can control the level and voicing of your signal. By not having Eq's this way will prevent you from getting the best tone out of equipment. To get the most out of your equipment, one must understand its intended purpose and come up with innovative applications for using it. I've done some very successful misusing and abusing of guitar equipment over the years which has left me slightly confused on what I intended to accomplish.

With this experimenting I have a better understanding of various degrees of power-tube saturation from tube amps, Equalizer curves, and dummy-loads/power attenuators which I use to produce, shape, and control my world of guitar tone from end-to-end. The minimum equipment I recommend for anyone to get a better sound is use a tube amp, EQ pedal and a good power attenuator.

Joe

ReplyQuote