Clear all

Experience with Behringer Gmx212 V-Tone

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@dshow)
Topic starter  

HI all

I was wondering if anyone has some experieces with the Behringer gmx212 (or it's little brother 210).

I'm looking for any information I can get.

I recently joint a band and I do not have an amp but also not much money - so I think the gmx212 would be a good choice.
I need an amp which is strong enough to assert within the band.
And I don't not know how good the sound is.

Where can I get a soundexample (preferable of the heavy sound)

I'm grateful of any comment.

Thanks

(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

First of all, check out the MF hands-on review.

I haven't yet tried the GMX212, but I did try the GM108, GM110 and GMX210. The analoge modeling seems to be the same in all GM(x) amps, so I assume the GMX212 will sound the same in this aspect. The clean tone is really good, easily meets the quality of more expansive solidstates, like those by Fender.

The Marshall/Mesa simulations are not wildly different from each other, the Mesa seems somewhat smoother, where the Marshall has more cruncy-sound. No idea what they were trying to emulate, but I dare to bet they didn't come close. However, you do have a clean, crunch and lead type-of sound, and you can modify each with different settings. For example, Marshall-Hi-gain will sound different then Marshall-Hot. Plenty of variation here.

However, do note that, as with pretty much all Behringer amps, you wont get a metal-sound without using pedals. It can handle everything from clean, jazz, blues to AC/DC-like rock tones.

The effects unit is 'ok'. Not much control, but the basics are there. Considering decent multi-effects units like the Boss ME-50 cost more then this entire amp, this shouldnt be much of a concern.

I've heared some vague rumors about Behringer making unreliable stuff. No idea if that is true, never noticed it myself. My four friends who play guitar all use Behringer amps, I use other Behringer stuff, and I never had a single problem. But still, beter be safe then sorry, so make sure you have some warranty somewhere.

In my humble opinion is the GMX212 by far the most bang for your buck, as long as we talk solid-state amps. It is loud enough for playing in a band, has all the connections to link it to whatever you want (out to another amp, out to another cab, out to PA/mixer etc).

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Yeah, they make amazingly versatile and full featured stuff at incredible prices.  For solid state thaey have to be the bang for the buck winners.  There are some pretty favorable reviews of the GMX212 here.  
    I do read some complaints in user reviews, but I figure the people who complain are the one who got a bad unit and bad support from the place they bought it and got mad enough to write it out.  It isn't so hard to find reviews of Fender or Marshall eqipment with scathing complaints of blown whatevers.  There are also plenty of reviewers who write glowing reviews of Behringer equipment.
    In one of the small, and seemingly honest, guitar shops near me the staff loves the GM series amps.  I don't think they would be pushing them if they kept coming back in for returns.  They certainly have no problem expressing their opinion of certain guitar brands (to remain nameless in order to keep the peace.)

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I own the Behringer Powered Mixer and my bass player owns the Behringer 300W bass head. They get heavy use at volume, and we have not had the least problem.

A lot of people abuse their equipment. When I read complaints I take it with a grain of salt. When you hear some guy plugged his speaker out on one amp into the input on another because he wanted "super" distortion, then he writes what a piece of cr-p the amp was. Many people don't know what they're doing.

I trust Behringer gear. They are coming out with 800W powered mixers this summer. I'm gonna try and get one.

As for playing in a band, a 60W solid-state amp will get you there. Now if you have another guitarist with a 100W Marshall who likes to crank it, you'll never be heard. Go for quality sound, not volume.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

As for sound samples, Behringer doesn't seem to have any posted anywhere, that I can find.  They probably save money on marketing to counteract their low prices.  These amps are probably modelled more on the Tech21 Trademark amps and SansAmp models than the original amps.  You can listen to some samples of those to get a general idea, if you can't make it to a shop to actually play one.  

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

The GM108 indeed sounded somewhat like those TECH21 samples. Weirdly enough, I couldn't get any closer with a TM10, so I suspect those TECH21 have been doing 'something' to those samples.

Behringer only has samples of the V-amp. Behringer definitely cut corners where customer support and stuff like that is involved...

ReplyQuote
(@dshow)
Topic starter  

Hey

Thanks for the replies. I got a general idea now.
Hope to find a possibility to try a Behringer amp somewhere. I would like to buy one on a online store because of the better price. ( Save almost 80$).

ReplyQuote