Clear all

Fender Amp

12 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@blaine)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Does anyone know anything about the Fender FM 65R Amplifier??? It's $239 at http://www.musiciansfriend.com .... 65 watts through a 12" speaker... I think that's a pretty good deal compared to like, the Princeton 65 DSP... I know it has digital effects but I could care less about effects... So, if someone could let me know if this is would be a good buy?? I normally like fender's stuff...

Blaine Adams

(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

I never heard or played on one so I really can't say either way. fenders have always held their own when called upon. You could always think about an all tube amp there are some right around that price range.

joe

ReplyQuote
(@blaine)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

yeah.. i just figured Hey!! Fender?? $239???? Sounds good...

Blaine Adams

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

Forrok, which tube amps in that price range are you speaking of, Pignose, Epiphone, ? Other than what Forrock says, Yes $239 for a Fender seems nice.

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@blaine)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

yeah.. wat tube amps could u get?? good question

Blaine Adams

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Here's a list of a few that would be right around that price range some are new and some used. if you want one bad enough you find one and away to make it yours. All of these amps will have folks begging to hear you play some more and will give you the sound and tone of Saturated output tubes.

Ampeg Reverberocket
Ampeg Jet J-12-D
Crate Vintage Club 20
Crate Vintage Club 30 3112
Crate V 58
Crate V1512
Epiphone Galaxy 10
Epiphone Galaxie 25
Fender Pro Junior
Fender Blues JR.
Peavey Classic 20
Peavey Classic 30

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@blaine)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I might have told u before.. but i have a Crate Blue Voodoo 60 amp... it has... 2 big tubes and 5 little ones closer to the front of the amp... it has 'Force' speakers in it which the previous owner put in it...What would my amp be? At least as far as tubes are concerned??

Blaine Adams

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Blaine

That is a full-fledged tube amp. I just spent some time reading reviews on the Blue Voodoo 60 on Harmony Central. As usual, some claimed it was the best sounding amp they had ever heard, and others said it was the worst. You have to look at the overall picture. And overall, most said it was a good sounding tube amp.

Being 60 watts it is doubtful you get into tube saturation at home. An attentuator that would allow you to crank the amp but play at bedroom volume levels might be a good idea.

Do you like this amp? I get the impression you don't since you are looking around.

Now this is just a pure guess on my part, but I think many people confuse tube saturation and overdrive with distortion. Tube amps have a very warm smooth sound. When they are cranked into saturation they start to breakup. This is an awesome sound, but it is not distortion. Distortion is almost always obtained with a pedal. But a good distortion pedal through a good tube amp will sound better than distortion through a solid-state amp.

But I gotta tell ya, solid-state amps are starting to sound awesome. I wouldn't hesitate to use one.

Have you tried a good distortion pedal through that amp? Did you like the sound and tone?

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

"2 big tubes and 5 little ones"

Without looking at the schematic, I would say three of the little one's are the preamp tubes and one could used for an effects loop and one for reverb/tremolo if you have that built in. The two big one are the power output tubes. Yes, 60 watts is plenty to loud for playing around the house, your amp doesn't really come to life until the Gain at 7 or 8 and the Master volume around 5 or 6. And thats loud, but it will sound good.

Just for something to try is put the amp in the closet (don't block air flow or cover it), the amp needs air to keep cool. Plug everything in, set the controls like above, if the cords fit under the door without crunching them close the closet door, it not close it up to the cords. Now pick your guitar and hear what it sounds like. You may want to stand back in case you blow the door off the hings...lol

joe

ReplyQuote
(@blaine)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Haha.. thanks for the reply.. actually, i have cranked the thing up... its fun... it hurts my ears... lol...yes, it has and effects loop, and reverb.. and it has a seperate channel for dirty stuff... ive ran my multi-effect pedal through it, and that's when i think it really comes to life... gives me a lil more versatility... otherwise, i dont use it much...

It's not that i dont like the amp... its just so bulky and heavy!! i want something a little lighter... something like the fender amp... just not anything that wont still get loud when im jamming with friends... i'd really like to put my crate amp to use but nobody in this crappy town plays.. haha... i would have a band if only i could get a drummer!!

Right now my biggest concern is getting a new acoustic/electric.... then i can move on to getting the new amp... i just need something to carry to someone's house a lil easier... this thing is like, 60 pounds...

Thanks a ton! for the info...

Blaine Adams

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

What Kind of acoustic/electric are you looking at Blaine? I have my eye on the Ovation 1778 T Elite. It plays so smooth and sounds so sweet. Just, I don't have $700 anytime soon for it. :x Oh, well hard. I feel for you on the drummer thing. Oddly, about seven years ago, I had the great drummer and could not find anybody else to make a band in the little town we were in. Go figure. All we could come up with was a sax player and we tried that, but no go.

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@blaine)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Yeah, the only drummer in our area are fresh outta high school and they are pot smoking gothic kids... just wouldnt work....the styles of music wouldnt go, and the personality definitely wouldnt... I've been looking at alot of guitars.. i played an ovation celebrity today and it wasnt too bad actually.. i really liked the Dean Exotica QSE?? i think... i also mentioned this in the forum "Best Guitar........$400"..... it was really nice...

Blaine Adams

ReplyQuote