Clear all

Fender FM 212R

11 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@english-one)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

In my quest for a new amp, I discovered this beauty, and I think it seems rather good. All this for just £229 !

Any thoughts? Or any better suggestions? (I've tried some behringer amps, but the clean channel was almost innaudible, and they were made very poorly, and I am allergic to Marshalls)

Thankyou

Peter

(@steveobouttorock)
Estimable Member

I'm considering buying this same amp becasue it seems like a great deal for that much power. Right now its between this fender and a crate XT120R for me. so i'd like some views on it as well

be good at what you can do-

ReplyQuote
(@english-one)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

As it happened, I bought the Fender Yesterday, and I am truly amazed by it.

The clean channel is wonderfully "Fender" i.e. it sparkles and doesn't even hint at breaking up.

The dirty channel is also fantastic .I don't often use amp distortion, I prefer my DS-1, however, this amp changed my mind. The "Drive" channel is an instant blues tone at the touch of a button, the "More Drive" Is heavier, but none the less useable. And then there is the "Mid Contour" button, which totally transforms the tone of the amp from Fender to Marshall Lead Sound. I tried out a few modelling amps before this, and actually this managed to create Fender and Marshall sounds better than any of those (including Line 6) And it's not even a modelling amp. Truly superb.

Also, this amp is loud :D the floor was shaking when the volume was at 1. This is NOT a bedroom practice amp, you have been warned.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Alright Engish One. Glad you like your Fender. Rock on.

SteveBoutToRock- Just my 2 cents, but I will take a Fender over a Crate any day of the week. I've owned many amps, Crate, Fender, Marshall, Peavey etc.... In my experience Fender amps are the best quailty. I had trouble with all the others, especially the Crate and Marshall. In my opinion Fenders are just built better. Plus, I could never get a tone I liked from my Crate. I really tried too. For heavy Rock, the Marshall was the clear winner, but it started to fall apart on me after 2 years. It stayed on full gain no matter how I tried to adjust it, also the input jack started cutting in and out on me. I am careful with my amps, I don't abuse them.

Go on E-Bay and see all the 50 year old Fender amps that are still running perfect. They are just built better.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Glad you like it, have fun! I tried that one myself as well, but I personally liked the overdriven/distorted sounds on the Behringer GMX better then the Fender. Just to satisfy my curiosity, might I ask which Behringers you've tried? I am espescially amazed by the 'made every poorly' remark. I regularly stand on mine (alright, I know its lame, but it's cool to rock out while standing on the amp :oops: ), and it even fell down half the stairs recently, and it still works perfectly. Did you by any chance ran into the GX series?

But anway, and once again, have fun with the Fender. It was a cool amp for sure.

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

You really can't go wrong with a fender. Everyone will one day find the amp or combination of amps that will be just right for them. As for longevity fenders or other amps when cared for will last a life time. Have fun and practice lots with your new amp.

joe

ReplyQuote
(@english-one)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Arjen, I tried the GMX210, Blue Devil. They were solidly made, but it seems the electrics are not consistantly well made. Some people have owned behringers and never had problems, but a lot of other people ave had amps that cut out after a day or two. I was speaking to the guy in the shop and he said that they get more returned Behringers than anything else. Also, I know and amp/guitar repair man who warned me against them, and I value his opinion highly.
They are good amps, and I really wnated one, but there does seem to be a quality control problem, and I wanted an amp that I could keep for years and gig regularly with, and didn't want to take a risk. Also, I play a lot more clean stuff than distorted, so the Fender Really suits me. I just couldn't cope with the quiet Clean channel on the Behringers.

Thankyou for your input.

Peter

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Peter,

Ah, I see. The blue devil actually isn't part of the GMX family, but of the older GX series (the GX112 to be precise). And in my humble opinion, that line had some major problems, both with construction quality and sound quality. I would have taken that Fender over the GX112 any time of the day. I like the GMX210, espescially for the sily price they ask for them, but if you play a lot more with clean, then it's hard to beat a Fender, right? :D

ReplyQuote
(@waltaja)
Estimable Member

i have a fender princeton 65 and i absolutly love the clean tones i get out of it. its a great amp in my opinion. best i've owned so far

"I got a woman, stay drunk all the time!"

-Led Zeppelin-

ReplyQuote
(@slothrob)
Reputable Member

Big Fender amp fan myself, I really love the sound. I'm not sure if the longevity of those 30, 40, and 50 year old Fender amps is really relevent to the newer amps, though. They may well prove to last forever, but they are made very differently than the old amps which were all point-to-point wired. This made them very repairable. Many of those amps did get sick over their lifetimes and were fixed. The new circuit board amps may end up in the trash when they start to have problems, especially when the replacement boards aren't available.
A lot of them aren't as worth saving, either. I can't imagine there being as high a percentage of Champions surviving as there are Champs, because you'd be crazy not to fix a Champ that had any chance of working again. Time will only tell if the Pro Juniors do as well.

ReplyQuote
(@english-one)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

A good point there. I think the same could be said about most amps though, except the more prestigous. They certainly don't make em like they used to...

However, at least they are more affordable these days, which means more people can access guitar playing.

ReplyQuote