Fender Super-Sonic effects loop questions

7 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@scrtchy)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hey there anyone,
I know I can jumper my effects loop for a boost, but I have been thinking about using it as a cut... that is, to turn it down under unity so I can turn the master volumes up and hopefully achieve some power amp grind at lower volume settings. I tested it a little this afternoon and it works. Using the Bassman setting on the clean channel I was able to turn the master volume up to 12 o'clock, where normally to play with my drummer I am at about 9 o'clock. I hit the strings hard and it distorted...

My questions are since this amp also has pre-amp out/power amp in jacks, does this mean the effects loop is not pre-amp out/power amp in? Where does the effects loop sit in the signal chain of this amp? I really hope I am not not hurting anything except tubes by doing things this way.

Thanks,
nitty

http://www.myspace.com/nittyirving

http://www.daughtersandsons.net -Cincinnati CEA Award winners for best original RnB/Funk band! (Bragging is in the user manual and encouraged)(Hi Mom)

(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

The PreAmp Out and Power Amp In is the effects loop. You can go out of PreAmp Out into the input on a multi-efx or pedal, and then out of the output on the multi-efx or pedal back into Power Amp In.

Want to skip the preamp section of your amp? Just go straight into Power Amp In. You can do this with a multi-efx, pedal, or even straight guitar.

You cannot get power amp saturation without cranking the amp unless you use an attenuator. Here is a good article from the Unofficial Hot Rod Deluxe Owners site. These amps are similar, the other guitarist in my band owns a Super Sonic.

http://studentweb.eku.edu/justin_holton/tooloud.html#powerampsaturation

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@scrtchy)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hey there,
Thanks for the info, but you better take a look in the back of your friend's Super-Sonic, there is an effects loop with level adjustments AND seperate preamp out/power amp in jacks that don't have level controls. So there are two effects loops, one footswitchable with levels and one not. What I am asking is are they both preamp in/power amp outs or is the one with the level controls in a different spot in the chain? Why am a able to achieve a dynamic grind when doing this, is it just a preamp tube that is dedicated to the effects loop that I am overdriving?

Please also let me clarify: wouldn't it work like this... cranking your amp then putting basically a volume knob between your preamp out/power amp in and turning it down... isn't the power stage cranked at this point? Here is a guy selling what I am talking about on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=7397495451&rd=1&rd=1

http://www.daughtersandsons.net -Cincinnati CEA Award winners for best original RnB/Funk band! (Bragging is in the user manual and encouraged)(Hi Mom)

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I wasn't aware of that 2nd effects loop on the Super Sonic, so I can't comment on where it is in the chain. But many Fender amps have the PreAmp Out/Power Amp In jacks that serve as your effects loop. I really don't use the effects loop on my amp, but I have experimented with it in the past.

I have put a simple volume pedal in the loop, it works just like that device on EBay. I prefer a volume pedal because I can control it while playing.

They say it is the same as turning your preamp down, but I think it sounded a little better to my ear. I would crank the preamp volume to full, keep volume on the pedal very low, and then crank the Master volume. Sounded a little better than simply cranking the preamp and keeping Master volume low.

But that device is still cutting the signal from your preamp section to the power amp, so you are not getting real power amp saturation. There is really no way around it, you have to crank the amp to loud volume for that. And the speaker being overdriven is part of the saturation tone as well.

I have a Weber attenuator I use on my HRD, Marshall DSL401, and even Epi Valve Jr head so I can crank the amp to near max but keep volume low. It does sound great, fanstastic sustain and thick tone. But I think it cuts your highs a little. My Weber is an older resistive type attenuator, I may invest in the newer attenuators from Weber with the speaker motor. Some even have a treble boost.

Weber Attenuators

Attenuators are the best way to go to really push the amp but keep volume low, but they are not perfect. I have been able to really crank my amps at a few gigs and it sounds amazing. I have heard the Super Sonic cranked too, a great sounding amp, I really like the Celestion Vintage 30, great speaker.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@scrtchy)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hey there Wes,
I guess I am just hoping for the cheaper solution perpetually! I think I am a prime candidate for an attenuator, I was looking at the THD, I will look at the Webers too. I am getting used to the Super-Sonic, it's a little bright overall, but I hear that changes when you get rid of the stock tubes, what the h3ll happened to Groove Tubes anyway? I hear nothing but bad news attached to their name these days. I had some in a Marshall JCM 900 and loved them, but that was a long time ago.

I love the Bassman channel on the amp and the gain channel is definately the only one that suits me so far. I'm all crazy to get my main sounds from the Bassman channel and then still have an alternative distorted sound left over for what ever. Thanks for your quick replies and advice,
nitty

ReplyQuote
(@scrtchy)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Just letting you know, I checked out the Weber Mass with the speaker motor and that is the one I am getting. Outstanding sensetivity and alot of EQ shaping besides the treble boost.
Thanks for letting me know about them,
nitty

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Nitty

You are welcome. I own the 50w Low Power Load Dump, it is a resistive type attenuator. Works fine, I use it at home to crank my amps and keep the volume low. It does seem to cut the highs a little, but you can use the eq on your amp or an eq pedal to compensate for that. I have read that the sound is not really different, it is just that the ear is more sensitive to high frequencies at high volume, more sensitive to the mids at low volumes.

I also like those high and low controls on the speaker models, I will probably get one myself sometime soon. They are supposed to get better tone than the resistor models.

You need two speaker (not instrument) cables with the attenuator, they sell them on the site as well. One has to be male/female 1/4"jacks, the other male/male 1/4" jacks. You simply unplug your speaker from it's jack under the head of the amp. A cable goes from this to the input on the attenuator. Then you plug into the output on the attenuator, the male jack on your combo's speaker plugs into the female jack on your 2nd cable. Super easy, takes 2 minutes max. :D

Let us know how you like it.

Wes

ReplyQuote