Clear all

first amp?

9 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@brian-f)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

New to elec guitar and looking for my first amp (will be playuing a Gibson LP). Have a kind of limited budget though, $200-$250 US max. I will be playing a little bit of everyhting, blues, 70's and 80's metal, newer stuff greenday and whatever. Anyway, I'd like to be able to mess around with lots of different sounds, so I'm thinking a modelling amp would be cool to emulate lots of different amps. also effects would be cool, although ive read that amp effects are usually pretty poor. Anyway, looking for recommendations and any comments you might have on the Vox AD30VT or the Roland Cube30 combo. Both seem to have what I'm looking for and seem to be in my price range. I've read some negative reliability reviews on the Vox, but I've also heard that they make good stuff, and they worked with KORG on this amp and that LORG has a good rep. Well, all input is greatly appreciated, or other advice/direction. Thanks!!!

(@brian-f)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

or, as a follow up to my own question, should i get a different amp and spend $50 on a multi effects pedal?

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Either one of those amps will work just fine and would be a good start for learning about the different effects. With so many different possibilities available today it really comes down to what will work to give you the tone your wanting to create. If you read through the amps & Efx section you'll find many discussions on single effects to mulit-effects, all tube amps to solidstate amps and everything in between. Which you'll see different points of view on each subject and should help you decide what will work for you.

You may want to try a few different amps and effects out at your local music shop. Make sure you include an all tube amp when your testing out the different amps, you'll be surprised at the different sounds you can achieve with one just by making small changes to the controls. Then adding some modulation effects(delay,chorus,etc) you'll soon find something you'll enjoy.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Both the cube and Vox are awesome amps for the price. Blues/classic rock tones are better on the Vox, crystal clean and tight metal sounds are better on the Cube. Effects have more paramaters on the Vox.

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

Not much more to say about it than these guys said. I have a Roland Cybe 30 bass amp and it is pretty good. The amp modeling gets you good sounds, but the effects are not great and are kind of noisy. I have played the guitar amp version and it was better IMO than the bass amp version. As far as the Vox, there are mixed reviews as you stated for different amps. You should be able to take your guitar into any local shoppe and plug it into the variety of amps, just in case your local shoppe does not carry the same kind of LP. Good luck and have fun.

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@brian-f)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

thanks guys. very helpful.

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Your welcome. You'll have fun exploring the different posibilities of tone.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

Check out the Berhinger GMX 212, $260.oo U.S. It has good tone, and you can get a midi controller for it later, You cant get a better value for the money, and its gig worthy--the dog

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

To add to it: Behringer also has the GM212, the GMX212 without Fx. If you get that one for #199 and then get a truckload of their $19 pedals you have the same effects and lot more edition options without needing a MIDI setup.

ReplyQuote