Clear all

Flanger vs. Phase Shifter

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@steve-0)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I was wondering, is there a big difference between these two types of effects? I plan on buying one but I find that they both have a similar sound and I don't really want to buy both effects pedals because I like keeping my effects minimal. Anyways, any input on this would be appreciative, thanks.

Steve-0

(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Though they are somewhat distinct sounding effects, both are delay-based. Flanging tends to impart a more metallic characteristic to the audio signal, as the delay shifts used are short and quickly modulated. OTOH, phase shifting uses a slower rate phase (a.k.a. delay) modulation (rate of change), causing a sort of swishing or whoosing effect that is very apparent in mid and high frequencies. Sometimes a phase shifter can make the audio sound similar to a wooshing jet engine. The now classic Queen (Brian May) sound incorporates a lot of phase shifting (among other things).

I know the Line6 modulation modeller (MM-4) @ $250 street covers a wide variety of phase shift/ modualtion devices including flanger, phase shifer and chorus. Must be some others brand devices that do as well.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote