9 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
 Hook
(@hook)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Hey!

Last week i bought my first electric guitar; a Squier standard fat strat and a Roland microcube. Loads of fun. But now im getting a bit annoyed at some noise/buzzing i get while playing. It sounds like this:

http://bansken.tripod.com/noise.wav (you have to copy this into your browser)

For some reason i dont get this noise when i plug the amp in to the computer.
But i do get the noise when using headphones. Strange..

Directly in to the computer:
http://bansken.tripod.com/nonoise.wav

I dont hear it when strumming full chords, but when the sounds are more subtle you hear it very well. It's enough to just place a finger on a string.
Any ideas? Is my amp broken? Or is this acceptable noise that all amps are producing?

Thanks

(@rsadler)
Reputable Member

I was wondering the same thing. I get alot of that noise when playing my Roland Cube 30 on my dirty channel. Is it just sloppy playing, or something else?

ReplyQuote
(@danrobertson)
Eminent Member

I can't get those links to work. It could be just the normal sounds that strats make in certain pickup positions, I think 2&4 have noise cancelling properties in a 5 pickup selector configuration. What happens when you mute all the strings with your hand?

Headphones maybe can't handle the high volume coming from the amp if you have it cranked high. Maybe your too close to the amp with your guitar. Could be several reasons but since I can't get that link to work I have no idea what it sounds like...and I'm more a less a noob myself :)

ReplyQuote
 Hook
(@hook)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

rsadler: ok thats interesting. I dont like the idea that this is how the cube family sounds like. But i think i hear this more when playing clean. It seems like subtle sounds like chord changes produces the most of this noise.

DanRobertson: Did you paste the link in to your browser? Right-click on the link and select copy, then paste it in to your browser.

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Your squier isn't grounded.

ReplyQuote
 Hook
(@hook)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Oh ok. Hmm so the guitar gets grounded throught the computer, and thats why i dont hear that noise then? (or something like that..)

Ok i'm gona take it to someone who can set i ut correctly.

Thanks.

ReplyQuote
(@slothrob)
Reputable Member

Your amp has a 3 prong plug. Are you plugged into a properly grounded outlet? This is easy to test with a $1.50 gadget from the hardware store that looks like 2 wires with a small light in the middle. If you put one wire into a hot outlet and the other into the 3rd hole (the ground) the light should light strongly. If not, find an outlet that is grounded. Do not use one of those adapters that let you plug into a 2 hole outlet, or you will not be well grounded. The computer is probably plugged into a grounded outlet.
Now try it. If it is still noisy then the guitar itself needs to be properly grounded.

ReplyQuote
 Hook
(@hook)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

slothrob: the adapter to the amp only uses 2 holes, and my oultets isn't grounded. I'm living in a old house and the only grounded outlet is in the kitchen. Hmm so i must get a grounded adapter and play in the kitchen? :?

edit: it's a adapter of this type:

ReplyQuote
 Hook
(@hook)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I've tried with the grounded outlet now, but the noise was still there wich maybe isn't that strange because the adapter doesnt use the ground... :)

Maybe you just cant/shouldnt ground the microcube and have to live with it? That kind of sucks.

ReplyQuote