Clear all

The Old Question: Multi VS Single

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@m07zm4n)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I'm in the process of upgrading my system (well, not befor MAY or something like that... ;).
I've got a BOSS ME30 and I'd like to go for something better.
The question is: would you recommend me to get a few singel FX pedals and link it to my BOSS or get a new Multi-FX pedal at all???

The most annoying thing about my MultFX pedal is the short delay when switching banks, so if there would be some out there that prohibits that, I'd be more than happy... :D
My most important effects would be:

- wah wah
- distortion
- accoustic emu
- echo/hall
- delay

...so nothing special...

anything extra would be great of course :D

What experiences do you have and what would be your recommendations?
I know it's as subjective as it gets, but any input is very appreciated!!!

Thanks and cheers!

8)

NO MORE THEORY!!
um...
KNOW MORE THEORY!!!!

<------>
motz
<------>

(@steve-0)
Noble Member

Well, I always take the conservative approach in terms of guitar playing: a vintage guitar, tube amp and little (if any) single effects. The main reason I don't like multi-effects pedals and amp processors is that I don't like the sound, I find it to be too simulated and it doesn't sound like the music i would want to make with a guitar. As well, I find that alot of multi-effects and amp processors just carry alot of things that i really don't need (I mean, all the options and sound possibilities amaze me but I just don't see where I could use it). It's really up to you but I think you should try a nice tube amp with no effects and compare it to the sound of some of the newer amps, that'll really be the deciding factor. As well, try out a couple multi-effects units if you can and compare it to the single stompboxes.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Something to try with Multi-effects pedals to avoid the delay is to turn effects on and off from with-in the patch and have the lead and rhythm patches next to each other.

joe

ReplyQuote
(@gjbrake)
Reputable Member

Hey!

Well, first off read this:
http://forums.guitarnoise.com/viewtopic.php?t=11777
- that's a review of the Zoom GFX1 by Wes. He very much likes it! Maybe he'll drop by this thread later on.

As far as the multi/single thing goes, I think it depends what you want use them for. I have a Korg Multi and love having lots of effects to play around with during practise. However, by the time I gig I know which sounds I want and rarely need more than one bank (4 patches) per night.

If you want to use lots of effects live, a Multi is the cheapest and easiest way to go, but if you don't really want any others than those you listed, you might be better getting a nice amp and wah/delay/acoustic stomps. The problem I have with stomps is that you can't go (for example) from a clean sound with a little delay to a distorted sound with tremolo with only one kick of the boot! On the other hand if you link them up to your Boss, you may be able to get round that problem.

As far as recommendations, I would say look at the Korg ones. There's always the PodXT Live or whatever it's called, but that might be overkill! Check out the Zoom that Wes has got too, as he does seem to say good things about it in all the areas you are interested, including the issues of delay between patches!
I can't recommend any seperate stomps, as I am very much a multi-man!!!

Did any of that make any sense? I hope so.
G

Listen Louder Than You Play

ReplyQuote
(@m07zm4n)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

First of all: Thanks for your usual great support!!! :D

Second: Yes I have read this review, but I wasn't too sure if I really should buy another multi or just buy some complimentary stomp boxes. Somehow I'd like to have both (who doesn't? :roll: ) but I know I cannot afford alot of things (who can? :roll:).
I love to mess around with alot of effects but I barely end up with something "usefull" or at least I can't see (hear) anything usefull in the end. So for playing I tend to end up with the ones listed above (wah, dist, delay). Would be better with stomp boxes, I guess??!?
On the other side, it's always nice to have some other effects in the repertoire, so... AAH! I can't make up my mind!

The problems with the "in between banks" solution is that I end up with the "stomp box" process in the end, just that my Boss ME30 doesn't sound as good as separate stomp boxes, so I really want to upgrade that one...

Do I already have GAS?

cheers,
Motz

NO MORE THEORY!!
um...
KNOW MORE THEORY!!!!

<------>
motz
<------>

ReplyQuote
(@gjbrake)
Reputable Member

Somehow I'd like to have both (who doesn't? :roll: ) but I know I cannot afford alot of things (who can? :roll:).Too true...Do I already have GAS?sounds like it!!!

What are the things that you don't like the sound of on your ME30? The general sounds (cleans/distortions etc) or the modulations (flanger/phaser/wah etc)? If the distortions are a bit crap, but the effects fine, then you could well be onto a winner linking a stomp box to your current multi. OTOH if the effects are rubbish then a multi is probably the best way to go - these days there are plenty of great sounding options for the same price as you would pay for the 3 or 4 seperate stomps you are looking for.

How about a piece of classic GN advice? --> Go to your local shop and play some multis and some stomps. Get what sounds good to you!

G

Listen Louder Than You Play

ReplyQuote
(@m07zm4n)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Oh no! I always thought that I will never get GAS! It sneaked onto me when I was asleep! I'm unguilty :wink:

Well, non of them are too great. The distortion isn't great but strange enough I don't play with much distortion anymore :shock:
What I totally dislike is the wah effect.
I think the modulations would suffice for now because I don't really use them that much.

The best trade off would be to use the "mediocre" distortion and echoes from the multi and get me a separate wah pedal.
That's a conclusion that I hadn't thought of before, and wouldn't without your great feedback and help!

Next music store is a bit of a travel so I wait until it gets warmer :D
but I'm definitley going to check out what they have.
(I can see me leaving the store with an accoustic, oh well...)

cheers and thanks,
motz

NO MORE THEORY!!
um...
KNOW MORE THEORY!!!!

<------>
motz
<------>

ReplyQuote