going through cables- is it my amp?

6 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
 Oric
(@oric)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I've had the same little practice amp for several years now- it was my first amp, and it's my only one. It's a little fifteen watt Johnson Reptone. I am far overdue for a new, much bigger amp, but I will have to make do with this one until I get some money going. The amp sounds good for being so small, but I have a problem with cables. Ever since I've had it, all my cables have eventually died. The last one I got was good quality, but after about two weeks, it died entirely after about a day of cutting out. Is it possible for an amp (or my bass? I play a standard Fender Jazz bass) to kill a cable like that?

(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Most likely you're plugging your cable straight into the jack on the guitar and letting it hang from it. That's really hard on the cable's attachment to the plug, and on the jack, as you move around. Instead, run the cable through between the guitar body and strap from behind, then turn it around and plug it in. Takes the strain off, and you're less likely to accidentally unplug yourself as well.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Most likely you're plugging your cable straight into the jack on the guitar and letting it hang from it. That's really hard on the cable's attachment to the plug, and on the jack, as you move around. Instead, run the cable through between the guitar body and strap from behind, then turn it around and plug it in. Takes the strain off, and you're less likely to accidentally unplug yourself as well.

Amen to dat!!!

Also, buy quality. I started using Monsters about 3 years ago or so. Yet to have one go bad. Plus, if they do, it's covered 100%. There are others to consider as well, but I don't generally change brands when I find something that works well for me in anything.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@prndl)
Reputable Member

The other main problem is pulling on the cable to remove it. Instead, grab the connector.

I've also been having problems with cables lately. I had a brand new one go bad. It has the connector sealed in plastic. I also have an older cable that went bad. It had a solder-less connector.

I'm beginning to prefer older style connectors. The ones with solder tabs that screw on.

1 watt of pure tube tone - the Living Room Amp!
http://www.naturdoctor.com/Chapters/Amps/LivingRoomAmp.html
Paper-in-oil caps rule!

ReplyQuote
(@daniel-lioneye)
Reputable Member

Don't skimp on cables. Buy good quality cables and you will not only save yourself money in the long run, but a lot of headaches.

I have the 18ft version of this
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/DiMarzio-Instrument-Cable?sku=332100
and the 12ft version of this
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Monster-Cable-Rock-14-Straight-Instrument-Cable?sku=331650

Both of them are great cable with little to no noise and after a year, no problems.

Since you said you play bass, these might be what you are looking for
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Monster-Cable-Bass-Instrument-Cable-StraightStraight?sku=331653

Guitars: Electric: Jackson DX10D, J. Reynolds Fat Strat copy
Acoustic: New York and a Jasmine.
Amps: Austin 15 watt, Fender Deluxe 112, Fender Champion 600 5w, 0ld 1970's Sears 500g.
Effects: Digitech Whammy, Big Muff Pi USA, MXR, Washburn Distortion.

ReplyQuote
(@witchdoctor)
Estimable Member

The amp is the least likely reason for cables going bad. Cables are a "get what you paid for" commodity. Personally, I use George L cables as they are not really that expensive, if the connector gets a short you can cut off a piece and reattach it without solder, and they are extremely conductive; there is little signal loss on long cables runs. I just spent the $$ and bought a roll and a bag of connectors.

ReplyQuote