Notifications
Clear all

Good amp for Metal/Hard Rock etc

10 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@force)
Topic starter  

Hi. The guitarist for my band is planning to get a new amp very soon. He needs one that is 80 Watts+ and he is planning to spend around $500 to $700 in Australian currency. He's been looking into buying a Marshall MG100DFX, but I'm not sure if it's what he's looking for. We play mainly Heavy Metal, Hard Rock, Thrash Metal etc from bands like: Slayer, Pantera, Metallica etc.

Thanks.

(@alangreen)

You cannot go wrong with a Marshall, and the MG100DFX is a top class piece of kit - I have a Marshall MG30DFX and that's gutsy enough to blow away half the street.

Do get the footswitch though - to change from clean to dirty sounds and back again without having to walk over to the amp mid-song and press the little black button.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Also check out Randall amps if they are available to you. I have heard many and they have awesome tone, very similar to Marshall (maybe better). Plus, they are not as expensive.

Randall Amps

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

Is this what you are looking at? Or am I off on the name of this Marshall?
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Marshall-MG100HDFXMG412-Slant-Cab-Half-Stack-Package?sku=482807

Personally, I have found that you do better with an amp that does not include effects. Well, reverb in an amp is great, but IMO, You don't want other effects built in. Get a basic good sounding amp and add whatever you like with single effect or "some" multi-effects pedals.

Good luck!

By the way, Welcome to GN!

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@pvtele)
Reputable Member

Yes, I wish Marshall would produce those MG-series amps just with a good spring reverb. I gave an MG15DFX a good workout a while ago, and was impressed. Really a Marshall overdrive - extraordinary sound for a solid state amp! But the reverb, being digital and on the same knob as the other effects, is not so useful. What good is chorus without a touch of reverb? (To be fair, the reverb's on a separate knob on the MG100DFX - but like Reb, I'd still prefer just a spring reverb and my own FX...)

ReplyQuote
(@crandles)
Trusted Member

Check out B-52's AT series
I have the AT-212 and its awesome

ReplyQuote
(@force)
Topic starter  

Ok thanks guys. He's thinking about Randall now. What's a good Randall amp suitable for small gigs and is good for the genres I mentioned?

ReplyQuote
(@force)
Topic starter  

So does anyone know any good Randalls suitable for the things I mentioned?

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Well, this is Randall's best selling amp at Musician's Friend.

Randall RX1200HS

It's got the power you need (120W) and it's got the look too. :twisted:

And trust me, you will love the Randall's distortion all by itself, but if you need more (doubtful) put a pedal in front of it. But Randall specializes in heavy metal tones. They sound awesome, I have heard a few and was very impressed. Huge low end.

I am not too crazy about the onboard effects. They might be pretty good though. But usually built-in effects are not as good as a multi-efx pedal or individual pedals. This is true regardless of the make amp.

And the price of this half stack is great.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@uglyamps)

Possibly not an option in aussie.. but Tony makes a killer 100W head

uglyampking

http://www.uglyamps.com

"get ugly"

ReplyQuote