a good amp for home recording. I currently have a Fender Super Reverb
which works great for clean tones. I recently played through a Mesa
Boogie F-50 at my local guitar store and wow!! It does clean and over
driven really well. Just wondering if this would be a better all around
amp. I record a range of music from light rock, blues, rolling stones-type
stuff. Thanks for your advice! :D

(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

I myself would strongly recommend this if it's just for a recording studio: Either go for the TonelabSE/POD XT style, or, assuming you are willing to spend a bit more money, set up an AmpFarm system. A lot more versatile, a lot easier to record and a lot easier to get exactly the sound you're after.

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Thats a hard one to recommend. It's more a matter of personal choice. They all play and sound different just like different guitars sound and play different. Most amps can go from a clean setting to overdrive its all how their set. I've been undecided on that for years. Thats part of the reason I have so many different amps. At this time I'm using five different amps for recording, Yes all at the same time. Their each miked and recorded on separate tracks.

I grew up on all tube amps they have been the driving force behind my sound nearly half a century. I do have solid state amp too. I like anything I can plug my guitar into. I give them the same recognition as tube amps, I just don't use them. They just don't have the same feel at my finger tips. This is that personal choice thing.

There are so many amps on the market not to mention hand built boutique amps for me to say Oh! get this one or that one. As said before try a number of them out put them through the moves, high volume/low volume, different setting. Even the environment or room where your recording can make a difference on how the amp sounds.

I generally say. All tube amp first, equalizer, and attenuator. This may not be the answer your looking for, I'm explaining personal choice and experience.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

[long live the multiple ways to translate things....]

ReplyQuote
(@greatone_12)

look at mesa preamps

ReplyQuote