Clear all

Good useable clean sound

8 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@english-one)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Ok, so I've got single coils running into a Zoom 505II, into a fender solid state.

I don't really like layering on the effects, so whats a good way of getting a nice sparkling, crisp sound?

I've played around with Chorus, reverbs, and I always use a compressor. Any thoughts? Particularly regarding EQ.

Thanks

Peter.

(@97reb)
Noble Member

Regarding EQ, get an EQ pedal. Danelectro Fish & Chips 7 band EQ is really good for the low cost. That will really help you adjust your sound. Obviously, low gain or no gain. Sometimes having your bass frequencies turned up will muddy your sound, especially in amps with small speakers. Not too much treble, or you can get some white noise. Keep the effects to a minimum, unless you are going for a specific effect sound for a certain song. Effects should always be used minimally. Less is more and keep it simple, unless you are ForrokStar and his setup is complicated in one way, but logical and simple to an experienced player.

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@elvisyo)
Eminent Member

The most common mistake of sound design is the 'covering up' technique.
Sound designing starts from the bottom. Start with clean and basic sound
to suite you before you turn into effects. Then, and only then, work your
way up into effect, and remember, if you're ugly, a facelift and tones of makeup
won't cover it, it'll just blur it a little so you'll look fine from a far.
First off, get your 'true' sound using only your guitar, amp and your fingers. An
EQ pedal can be useful if it comes right after to fix minor problems.
Your hard work will come back to you paying extra and interest as something
you'd never thought possible before.
And one more tip: get a (sound) role model. That'll be your map for treasure.
Listen to your model well, learn every nuance and try to imitate. First by trial
and error, and later by experience.

Have a nice day!
Elvis

So long and thanks for all the fish.

ReplyQuote
(@dcarroll)
Reputable Member

Well, if you want to use your fingers to work on the tone,

Start playing chords with the piano technique, where you use the pic and fingers at the same time and "pluck" the strings. Eric Johnson does this all the time and its a big part of his clean, chimy sound.

I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

On Zoom pedals try the FDR CLN setting on gain. This models just what it looks like, Fender Clean. This is the cleanest setting on Zoom pedals. You may have to bring "gain" up to about 20 for sufficient volume. It will still be clean at this setting.

On EQ, try 25. This is flat, so you should get the pure sound of your amp. On Contour start with a 0 setting. This is also flat.

Here is a great site with over 600 patch settings for the Zoom 505II

Click on "505" on the right side of the page. When the page comes up click on "Zoom 505 patch list" below the pic.

Zoom 505 Patch List

There are many great clean settings as well as awesome distortions and effects.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

I would start by turning my guitar volume about 3/4 the way to full and the tone control at its mid-point. The amp I would set the pre-amp gain from 1 to about 3, the master if there is one would be set around the same as the gain. The tone stack would be all set to their flat/mid position. I'd spend some time adjusting the tone stack for best tone. For the Pedal pre-sets Wes covered them very well.

Here's a few pre-sets that I wrote back before ZoomII. Most are flat get down and get some patchs, but I recall one as being real clean. I don't remember which. More Zoom Pre sets

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@english-one)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thank you very much, very handy, especially the patchlists (I was trying to find a site like that before coming here, thankyou!)

Yeah, I'm very keen on the less is more idea, just trying to find a way to get some sparkle on those chords.

I'd love to get an eq pedal, but I've promised not to spend any more money on guitars! (well, for a while at least...)

My guitar is an old Westone Thunder 1, with 2 fairly high output humbuckers, that I mostly use split coiled.

I find the fndr clean model tends to distort a bit, giving rise to some rather undesirable noises!

Thanks

Peter

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

What type of " rather undesirable noises". Sometimes you can create some interesring things with them.

Chorus can be used to thicken or sweeten the final processed sound. It is created by sweeping a comb filter through a base delay time and generally using between a 30 to 60 percent mix between the dry and wet signal. The base delay time plays an important role in the perception of the effect. Longer base delays are more preferable to give a deep rich sound to your guitar, while shorter base delays are used for more delicate enhancement purposes. The width plays an important role in the range of perceived effect and is best used in conjunction with the speed parameter.

Joe

ReplyQuote