Clear all

Amp setup question

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@dmoffatt)
Topic starter  

Hey all guitarists!

I have a question re: how to set up my amp with an effects unit/pedal and a loop sampler.

I have a Behringer GMX 212 amp that has lots of "modeling" and other digital effects.

Into this I want to run a guitar effects pedal (mostly reverb but some other effects as desired) AND I want to be able to also run my looping machine to record phrases/samples of myself.

I can't figure out how to order the effects and the amp. I.e., do I plug my guiter first into the amp, and use the "send/receive" jacks to go to and from my effects and then have the amp out go into the loop sampler? I'm pretty sure that the loop station should be last but last *where*?!

I actually do have the amp manual. I *have* read it. I'm sure that it's in English, my native language. But I can't understand it. And the illustrations don't show the key ports.

Any help greatly appreciated!

dave moffatt
at-home dad.
diapers changed, hugs arranged.

(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Arjen is the Behringer amp expert around here. Maybe he will come along soon and help you out.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

As with any amp, put your guitar into whatever pre-distortion effects you have (wah, compressor, boosters), run those effects into the main input of the amp. Then put any other effects (modulation, delay, reverb) in the FX loop. Since I never used a phrase pedal I have no idea where that should be. Try it by either putting it in front, right after the guitar, or at the very end, right before going back to the FX-return.

If you have a multi-effects pedal it depends on how you want to use it. Assuming you want to use the distortion/pre-amp of the GMX you should check out whether or not your pedal has it's own FX loop. If so:
guitar->pedal input->pedal send->amp input->amp send->pedal return->pedal out->amp return.

If not you'll have to chose between using either the post or pre-distortion effects (see above). If you want the pre-distortion effects, put the pedal between the guitar and amp input. If you want the post effects, put the pedal in the FX loop and the guitar into the amp input. If your pedal has modeling and you want to skip the GMX modeling you should plug the guitar into the pedal, and the pedal-out into the amp FX-return.

As for the manual, you're right: it's rubbish. Lots of usefull info that you'll only understand if someone else translates it into an comprehensible variant of English. :D

If anything is unclear, feel free to ask for some extra information.

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

I took a look through the manual and found some very good information. If your amp has the connections on the back of it, that saw in the manual it really makes for a very versatile amp. (Slave in, line out, Aux In, Insert send and return). I would spend sometime experimenting with different possibilities with these connections.

Joe

ReplyQuote