Skip to content
Got a combo. Ain't ...

Notifications
Clear all

Got a combo. Ain't got a power-in thingy. Now what?

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

So I was thinking of getting a Behringer GM110 combo to use with a epi valve head. Then, purely by accident, I activated my left brainhalf as well and noticed I already have a perfectly fine GMX212, with 2 12"jensen speakers. I further noticed that there doesn't seem to be a way to hook a power-amp up to it.

Now I'm a total arse when it comes to doing things myself, I've even managed to electrocute myself once when changing a lightbulb. So I am wondering how much an honerable craftsman would ask for creating a power-in thingy. It seems a fairly simple thing to do but I have no idea what's a fair price and what isn't.

(@demoetc)
Noble Member

I had a look at the back panel of the Behringer - wow, there really *isn't* anywhere to plug in the internal speakers. The wire going from the two speakers must just go up into the chassis underneath or something - with no plug or jack or anything; like direct wiring, right?

So if I get this right you want to use just the speakers of your combo with the Epi head. The only thing I can think of is actually cutting the speaker wire in half, or unsoldering the ends from the speaker terminals. It's probably really short too, going from the speakers to the amp chassis, so you'd have to maybe get some zip cord (simple two conductor unshielded cord like for table lamps) and solder in a nice length to the speaker terminals (enough to reach wherever you're gonna have the Epi), solder a 1/4" TS plug to that, and then go back to the cord coming out of the combo's amp chassis and solder in a matching 1/4" jack. That's so you can reconnect the combo's amp to its internal speakers when you want.

Shouldn't be too hard. If someone did it for you it should not be too expensive. Parts: maybe $3.50 for the plug, $4 for the jack, and a little wire-stripping and soldering - I dunno, $30 or so?

Hope this helps

ReplyQuote
 vink
(@vink)
Prominent Member

Weber has some cables .. one of these might work for you, if your speaker wires use little "spade" plugs, as opposed to being soldered. I think it is listed as "Peavey Speaker Harness" or something like that. The reason they have them is so that people can use an attenuator with a combo.

Edit: https://weberspeakerscom.secure.powweb.com/weber/acc.htm

--vink
"Life is either an adventure or nothing" -- Helen Keller

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Arjen

One alternative is to pick up a Weber MiniMASS. I am assuming these are available in Europe, seeing the instructions on this page are in French and German.

https://weberspeakerscom.secure.powweb.com/weber/minimass.htm

You could go out of the Line Out on the MiniMass into the Aux input on your Behringer amp. If you have the amp set to a very clean preset you should get the overdriven Preamp section of the Epi amp.

Almost anybody with a little electrical experience should be able to hook up a speaker jack like that Peavey harness Vink showed. Just snap on the "faston" slide terminals to the speaker terminals, and then plug a speaker cable (not instrument) with male 1/4" jacks on both ends to the female end of the Peavey harness, other end into the Speaker Out on the Epi.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Duh, I suck. You already pointed me towards them and I already added them to my wishlist, totally forgot this was possible. I can plug any line-level signal into the Behringer's ultra-clean power, bypassing the internal pre-amp. Would this sound the same compared to having a poweramp-in installed and using the weber in a normal manner?

How do you use your's with the HRD by the way?

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Arjen

Super simple, go out of the Speaker Out on the amp into the Input on the attenuator, then out of Line Out on the attenuator into your Aux In on your Behringer. That's it. :D

You do know that a tube amp always needs a speaker load or it will damage the amp. The "resistive" load type attenuators like the Low Power Load Dump I own do not provide a speaker load, so a speaker must be attached to the amp head. The MiniMass provides a "reactive" load. This has an actual speaker motor, and so you would not have to have an actual speaker attached to the amp head.

Read here:

http://www.tedweber.com/atten.htm

I do not usually use the Line Out on my attenuator. But some possible uses would be to go from the Line Out into a PA mixer board, into another amp, or even recording equipment. Anything that accepts a "line" level signal.

On my HRD I simply go from the 8 ohm Speaker Out on the underside of the head into the Input on the attenuator, then out of the Output on the attenuator to the speaker. Part of the signal from the head to the speaker is converted to heat. This allows me to crank the amp high but keep volume very low. Sounds good. :wink:

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Looks simple enough. :) Ordering directly from Ted is a tad expensive due to shipping costs ($50 extra!) but I've been directed by some folks to a Dutch dealer who might or might not sale Webers. I also located the Epi (cheapest so far $150 including shipping) so if the Weber is indeed availlable I'm going to take a guess with it. If it doesn't sound good I'll have a power-in put into the Berry and use it the way you do with your Hotrod.

So thanks for the help folks. :D

ReplyQuote