Clear all

attenuator for Epiphone Valve Junior head

8 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@97reb)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Alright everbody. I got my Epi VJ5 head. I definitely need that attenuator. I'm not all that sure I want to kick out $300 for a Gibson or THD. I did some research and found this one
https://weberspeakerscom.secure.powweb.com/weber/micromass.htm

Any opinions on this one?

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

nope, no opinions at all. But when I was searching for an attenuator for the same amp I ended up with the same micromass, which was considered not to be a bad thing IIRC.

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

97reb,

What's up ? If wes sees this he'll respond. I know he has a Weber, not suer if it's that exact model but I know he likes it and has recommended Weber's before.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Well, reading thru the other posts, I guess I'll get one of the Weber's sometime soon. Meanwhile, I have my guitar running into an A/B pedal. "A" channel into a tube pre-amp then into my Marshall solid stae 30W. "B" channel goes into my Boss ME-50. Left out to Epi Valve Jr. Right out to Vox AD30VT. I can get great clean blues all the way to heavily driven metal with just a few foot taps. I may toss an EQ or 2 in there somewhere.

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

I ordered the Epi Head and a Weber Minimass 50W. Might be a few weeks before it arrives but I'll let you know how it works out if you want to.

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Thanks Arjen. I did not know if one should get the 25W attenuator because the head is 5W, or get the 50W because the power usage of the Epi is 35W. I guess the attenuator has to be able to handle the head.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

97Reb

The Weber attenuators are very good IMHO. I use the 50W Low Power Load Dump that I bought for my HRD with my Epi head. Works just fine. I do notice that when you attenuate the signal for really low volume you lose a some of your highs. But even opening up the attenuator a little the highs come back.

I think this unit you are looking at will work very well with the VJ head. I kinda wish I had ordered one of the Mass units when I ordered, not sure if they had those then. But the units with the actual speaker motor are probably better. Mine uses a resistor. Still, I'm very happy with it.

Congrats on ordering a real tube amp and attenuator Arjen. Tube amps are a little different from the modeler amps you've been using, but once you hear that cranked tube amp tone you will be very happy.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

97reb: the 25W should be more than able to handle the head, the reason I ordered the 50W is in case I ever order another, higher-wattage, head. The price difference is so small I didn't want to run the risk of having to buy another one later on. I believe the rule of the thumb is that the attenuator should be able to handle twice the output of the head, so you'd only need a 10W attenuator.

Wes: Thanks. I've played a number of tube amps in various rehearsal rooms but have never been able to play around long enough with them to get a proper sound of it. Looks like I'm getting that chance now. :)

ReplyQuote