Notifications
Clear all

Guitar amp gargle

6 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@fresh50)
Topic starter  

Need some help. I use a Fender 410 Deville on stage. When sound is hooked up my amp seems to give a distorted sound. Any suggestions to fix this?

(@moonrider)
Noble Member

Need some help. I use a Fender 410 Deville on stage. When sound is hooked up my amp seems to give a distorted sound. Any suggestions to fix this?

Hmm. Need more info.

What do you mean by "when sound is hooked up?" Are you using line out to a PA? Miking the speaker? Using an additional cab? Detail your setup please.

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
(@fresh50)
Topic starter  

Thank you. I am miking the amp to sound system. the sound from the amp distorts like it is on full blast. Maybe the sound system is taking a lot if power?

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

Thank you. I am miking the amp to sound system. the sound from the amp distorts like it is on full blast. Maybe the sound system is taking a lot if power?
I don't mean to sound dense, just making sure. The right answer depends on the details.

You're using a fender deville 4x10 and miking it like this?

If so, answer the following questions.
What kind of mike?
What kind of sound is the amp set for? clean? crunch? brewtal meytal overkill?

The answer could be a whole list of things with the top three being
overdriven mike ( the amp is too dang loud! )
too much distortion and gain in the amp/pedal chain
adjustment needed in mike positioning
damaged mike or amp

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

ReplyQuote
(@fresh50)
Topic starter  

yes the diagram is correct. I am saying the sound from the amp on stage distorts, I am thinking that there is a drain from the sound equipment that may cause this distorted sound. I have the amp on clean, power level bout eight. Thanks for trying to help.

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

yes the diagram is correct. I am saying the sound from the amp on stage distorts, I am thinking that there is a drain from the sound equipment that may cause this distorted sound. I have the amp on clean, power level bout eight. Thanks for trying to help.

Hmm. might be helpful if you detail your rig. For example: my last gig I used a Peavey Duel 212, with a G&L ASAT guitar. No effects other than the tremolo and reverb on the amp. I used a Shure SM57 to mic the speaker

So, the sound coming from the amp is clean, but the sound coming through the PA is distorted?

Most likely you need to lower the gain on the PA channel for the amp. Sounds like you're overdriving the input channel on the PA.

What kind of mixer? I can give details instructions for gain staging if I know.

ReplyQuote