Notifications
Clear all

Headphone output

6 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@cuppster)
Topic starter  

I've been looking at entry-level tube amps for a while now (someday I might actually buy one). I've noticed that practically none of them have a headphone output. The nature of my practice sessions dictates that I almost always use headphones when plugged in. Since it seems guaranteed that I will end up without a headphone output, my question is:

How can I use headphones on an amp without  a headphone output? Will it work to plug them into an external speaker out?

(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

I'm going to move you down to the amp forum -- I think you're more likely to get a response there.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@psychonik)
Reputable Member

I have a peavy rage158 transtube, and it has a headphone output...

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

Not sure I'd plug headphones into a speaker out jack because the impedance will likely be different.  I believe you could get a cheap mixer board for maybe $100 and send a cable to it and plug you headphones up to that.

If you don't already have one maybe you could get a little red Fostex MR-8 digital recorder.  It has a little mixing board on it and you can record your playing to a computer chip.  As an added bonus, you use your headphones.  But that item is $270.  :-(

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=031202171209012026200121975400/g=home/search/detail/base_pid/240239/

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@boomshanka)
Eminent Member

Don't plug the headphones into the speaker out socket, you will blow your headphones. The power output will be far too high for headphones.

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

I have a peavy rage158 transtube, and it has a headphone output...

The peavey transtubes aren;t tube amps, they are solidstates pretending to be valves. They sure sound good though, almost sounding as good as tubes, without the drawbacks.

ReplyQuote