Notifications
Clear all

Heavy metal guitar setup

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@dimefan0908)
Topic starter  

I am playing a Dean F.B.D. through a KranKenstein half stack with the bass set around 9 mid's around 4.5 treble around 9 and distortion at 4.5 I can not seem to get my guitar to cut through the live mix unless i turn up to a lot louder volume. I used to play with the mids completely scooped but have learned in the mix they are very important should I try and add more mids? Crunchy guitar don't cut through and thin guitar sounds like complete crap but cuts through. My band plays a lot of PanterA, Lamb of God, Slayer kinda stuff. Thanks for any help. Jeremy

(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

What is flat on your EQ? 5 or 0? Set everything flat and then slowly adjust each frequency to where it sounds good. Leaving something flat or cutting it is ok. You need to do this, at the very least, while all your stringed instruments are playing. You guys get to practice early and each work out your sound together and write them down. It's boring, but if you want to sound good together, you have to do it. When we had 2 guitarists in my band, the 3 of us go together and spent about an hour before a practice standing in front of our set up and playing together and adjusting EQs. When we got rid of the rhythm player, me and the lead guitarist redid the work because we had some holes to fill.

If flat is 0 on your amp, you are still scooping the mids. Cranking the low and high up to the same value and having the mids lower is effective the same as leaving high and low flat and turning down the mids and turning the overall volume up a bit. You will probably find that if you flatten the bass or even cut it, you'll be able to hear yourself better. You've got your bass frequencies cranked (or I guess it is Kranked, due to your amp :) ). Combine that with your bass player and you've probably got some sonic mush going on.

There are no magic settings, you have to play together and make adjustments.

Bass player for Undercover

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

I am playing a Dean F.B.D. through a KranKenstein half stack with the bass set around 9 mid's around 4.5 treble around 9 and distortion at 4.5 I can not seem to get my guitar to cut through the live mix unless i turn up to a lot louder volume. I used to play with the mids completely scooped but have learned in the mix they are very important should I try and add more mids? Crunchy guitar don't cut through and thin guitar sounds like complete crap but cuts through. My band plays a lot of PanterA, Lamb of God, Slayer kinda stuff. Thanks for any help. Jeremy

More mids, less treble, less distortion. Let the bass carry the low end, that's what it does. Too much distortion blurs the attack on the chugs and makes 'em sound mushy. Too much treble lets pick scrapes and finger squeaks gain the upper hand, and gives you a fizzy bumblebe
sound.

Keep in mind that the rhythm guitar you hear on album is tracked two or three times and mixed together for one guitar part

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote