Clear all

New Amp (sound clips)

39 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I just ordered a new amp. I hope I like it. :lol: My kids got me a Peavey VYPYR 15 watt practice amp for Christmas and I absolutely love it. It sounds amazing and is very versatile soooooo .......... I ordered a Peavey VYPYR 75 watt combo. It has a 12 inch speaker and has a bulit in power sponge so the volume should be very adjustable. I'm thinking I'm gonna like it and for $299 how can I go wrong? I'll let everyone know how it sounds when I get it.

I read there were some issues when they first came out with these. The firmware is upgradable through your PC. The bugs seem to be pretty well ironed out by now. My 15 works fine. Anyone have one or got any experience with one? I couldn't not try this cause as I said, my 15 sounds darn good.

http://www.soundclick.com/trguitar

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

(@ph0nage)
Reputable Member

i have no experience....but congrats on ordering the new amp!

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I'm actually kinda suprised I'm buying this. Never thought I'd get a modeling amp but the little 15 is so great. There is a difference though. The amp models are not digital. They are warm and analog ala SansAmp. Actually Peavey TransTube. This puts Peavey ahead of the competition.

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

TR: do these Peaveys have a line out (or preferably a balanced output) for direct recording? I need to recommend a modestly priced amp to someone and these look interesting, but he'll need to be able to hook it to a mixer or PA, and a mic won't be practical for this situation.

Also, is there a big volume change when going from a clean model to one with overdrive or distortion? That was a problem with the old Vox AD series as I recall ...

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

The higher end ones have a USB recording output. They all have a headphone/recording jack. I did notice some of the clean vs hot models had a volume difference but the chanels are programable so you can fix that problem by using the presets. I am psyched for the big one to get here. As I said, the little one is by far the best $99 amp I have ever seen.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Are you getting the peda; topo, the one with the 400 presets?

I can see a big modelling amp. Heck, people run a Boss-GT-10 or Line 6 XT-Live straight into a PA system. It's digital somewhere. I do think they've made nice advances. The Line 6 Spider II that I had sounded like a Line-6 Spider II no matter the setting. I understand that to be no longer the case 2 generations later. Can't wait to hear the report. Should be due soon, eh?

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Not getting the pedal for now anyhow. It cost almost as much as the amp. It does seem to do alot though. I'm not a multi sound kind of guy but these amps do make the sound I like so that's why I ordered it. The pedal would be nice for the wah control but I'll just use my Cry Baby. For the other sounds, it has more than I need and I'll just let my fingers do the presets. I am excited for this thing to get here. It's gonna be fun. The little 15 watt one sure is and the sound from the 8" speaker is amazing. I can't wait to hear it through a 12" and with more power behind it.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I'm not a multi sound kind of guy but these amps do make the sound I like so that's why I ordered it.

It can consume a lot of time if you let it. :)

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Just waiting for the brown truck!

TR: do these Peaveys have a line out (or preferably a balanced output) for direct recording? I need to recommend a modestly priced amp to someone and these look interesting, but he'll need to be able to hook it to a mixer or PA, and a mic won't be practical for this situation.

Also, is there a big volume change when going from a clean model to one with overdrive or distortion? That was a problem with the old Vox AD series as I recall ...

I just got thinking about this post. The USB is for PC recording and the headphone jack silences the internal speaker. Probably not what your friend is looking for. :?

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

and the headphone jack silences the internal speaker. Probably not what your friend is looking for. :?

Ah, thanks ... I suppose that makes sense in a headphone jack, but a simple preamp line out that doesn't defeat the speaker could have been useful. Seems that only Tech 21 (the Sansamp folks) do the full array of outputs (phones, fx loop, balanced XLR) on their amps; maybe we can find a cheap used one for him.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to hearing clips from your Peavey!

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I think I have found my amp! I couldn't be more pleased with this thing. The tone is amazing. I will record some clips soon. There are those that don't like the noise gate as you can't adjust it, but I have no problems with it what so ever. I read complaints that it cuts or chokes notes off but not for me. Maybe those people just have no sustain anyways. Stay tuned for sound bites. 8)

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Sound clips available. They are VYPYR demo 1 through 5. I tried a few different styles and sounds. This thing can do hundreds of them.

http://www.soundclick.com/trguitar

Was listening to the demos (cause nobody else has :lol: ) and listed to the demos I posted of the SX guitar I rebuilt. The SX was recorded with a Tube Screamer and Peavey Classic 30 tube amp. The tone of the VYPYR compares favorably IMO.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

That all sounded good to me, but I am certainly no expert when it comes to the harder Rock tones. I'm a fan of them, but I don't play them much.

It's cool that you found your amp. I think the digital world has been getting more and more up to speed. I do enjoy messing around with tones on my digital toys. 8)

Roy

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Yep, and the thing about these Peavey amps is the amp models and distortions are not digital. They are 100% analog and I think that's why they sound so good. The effects are digital, the EQ digital, the operation and setup digital, but the distortion is analog. Most cool! 8)

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

TR<

Hmm first I've seen of these amps. I see some come with a looper do you know anything about that. I'm interested in getting a looper of some sort.

I've been using my friends peavey Valveking 112 which is Ok but nothing great since the Fender is out of commision. I find if I just use the clean channel and use my distortion pedals it's not to bad but still not the tone I'm looking for. It sounds OK when I play by myself but when I play with the band it just doesn't have the balls that I need.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3