Clear all

New Amp (sound clips)

39 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Well, to be honest, I haven't played with it yet. I haven't played with much except the guitar when I use this amp. It sounds that good. I worked last night and work tonight coming up so I'm way late for bed, but on my days off I will check it out and let you know what I think. I do think you need the pedal to maximize it's use. Least I think I read that somewhere. It does make sense though.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Nice sounds there TR. Analog (sansamp style) is cool. :) Do you feel that the amp does well at low volumes with the power soak? Also how are the cleans / mild overdriven tones?

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@kcfenderfan)
Honorable Member

Very cool clips, TR!! Just curious how the new one compares to the "15." I know size -wise there is no comparison. I am looking for a small amp with nice bluesy tones at bedroom levels. I know that the "75" has the power sponge. If money isn't the issue, is it overkill for what I want?

Thanks,
Jim

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Yep, and the thing about these Peavey amps is the amp models and distortions are not digital. They are 100% analog and I think that's why they sound so good. The effects are digital, the EQ digital, the operation and setup digital, but the distortion is analog. Most cool! 8)
My hybrid (Fender Super Champ XD) is impossible to find consistent information on. It's got a clean channel and 16 voicings. The 16 voicings are digital according to one site and solid state according to another. If I go with Fender's site, it's solid state. If I go with the manual, it's digital. So, I don't know if my overdrive or distortion features are digital or solid-state.

I do know this. It's got plenty of gusto for a 15W unit, and my purchase and installation of an after-market speaker has got to be one of the top two mods i've ever done to my guitar stuff. This amp does sound really good now.

I also don't have a lot of digital effects. The one-knob thing Fender does is easy to use though. Dial up the effect and adjust the strentgh of the effect and that's it. (some of the 16 digital affects are combos, like delay and reverb as "1" effect)

So, in light of that, I do like that approach the Vyper takes by having it's 12x2 amp models and a hand full of effects. It does remind me of my amp's simplicity.....just that the Vyper has more features, bigger speaker, seems to be expandable via foot switch, USB connectivity, etc. <sigh>

One thing I absolutely love about one of my other toys, my Boss GT-10, is that I can take that simpler approach. I can "initiate" a "patch", which is simply giving it a clean slate. I then establish the pre-amp, it's settings and any other effects after that. Very simple, pretty straight forward. It sounds to me like that's how your Vyper works. Get 80% of the way there in just a few minutes and fiddle a bit here and there to dial in your tone.

Toys are cool! 8)

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Very cool clips, TR!! Just curious how the new one compares to the "15." I know size -wise there is no comparison. I am looking for a small amp with nice bluesy tones at bedroom levels. I know that the "75" has the power sponge. If money isn't the issue, is it overkill for what I want?

Thanks,
Jim
The 15 sounds awsome for a 8" speaker. I kind of favor 12" speakers but the main reason I wanted the 75 was for it to be able to be used in a band situation. The 15 will get loud but getting loud causes the 8" speaker to let you know it is only an 8" speaker. I wanted the 15 for low volume practice and it delivers so would be fine for bedroom levels. The 75 gives you the stomp boxes, the 15 does not. They make a 30 that has a 12" speaker and the stomp boxes. That one is $199. The 15 has amp models and effects, the others have stomp boxes, amp models and effects.

Nice sounds there TR. Analog (sansamp style) is cool. :) Do you feel that the amp does well at low volumes with the power soak? Also how are the cleans / mild overdriven tones?
You know the way a 100 watt amp is not twice as loud as 50 watt amp but only like 10% louder or something like that? The power soak illustrates this well. There is not a lot of volume difference but there is a difference in the powerfulness of the sound. Being a solid state amp with a master volume low volumes are no problem. They probably didn't need the power sponge but it is a nice feature. I'll have to get some clean and mildly overdriven clips recorded. I think it does them well but the mildly distorted ones will be where you can tell it is not a real tube amp I am afraid. We will see though.

Roy, I'd say the bottom line on your amp is does it sound good to you. I suspect it does. 8)

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Roy,

I might be electrically challenged but I thought solid state and digital were pretty much the same thing?

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Roy,

I might be electrically challenged but I thought solid state and digital were pretty much the same thing?
I'm unclear on the differences now that you mention it. I always thought Solid State and Digital were two seperate things. I think the terms Solid State, Analog and Tubes all refer to electrical wiring and components, like transistors vs tubes. Digital, to me, is the world of ones and zeros. The binary world. I suppose a Solid State system could also include some digital processing, but the pressence of digital would now make it "digital" instead of "solid state".

If anyone's watching, feel free to chime in with proper defs. :mrgreen:

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Roy, I'd say the bottom line on your amp is does it sound good to you. I suspect it does.
Yeah, that's probably the right way to look at it. Especially after the speaker change. :)

Roy

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

No solid state means no moving parts and it replaced tubes so tubes are not in the same category as solid state.

I think I got that part right but as for the digital or analog I'm not sure if the solid state devices use an analog signal or a digital signal or they maybe can use both I'm not sure.

But if the amp says digital or solid state then you know there isn't any tubes in there.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

No solid state means no moving parts and it replaced tubes so tubes are not in the same category as solid state. Solid state replaced tubes.
That's how I understand it. The confusion is where digital fits in. You can have digital or not have digital in your solid state system.

So the tone generating components in each of the marketing buckets:
"All Tube" = tube(s)
"Solid State" = transistor(s)
"Digital" = processing unit (or computer)
"Hybrid" = combination of digital and one of the others

The term Analog indicates absense of digital in whatever portion of the chain being spoke of. Analog does not mean tube or solid state, but it includes them.

Roy

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

No solid state means no moving parts and it replaced tubes so tubes are not in the same category as solid state.

solid state means the electrons move thru solid material -- not liquid, plasmas, gases … and it also implies no moving parts (a later definition). the former implies the active devices are semiconductors: usually silicon and germanium diodes, bipolar transistors and the many FET devices.
I think I got that part right but as for the digital or analog I'm not sure if the solid state devices use an analog signal or a digital signal or they maybe can use both I'm not sure.

But if the amp says digital or solid state then you know there isn't any tubes in there.

a good (99.999% valid :wink: ) inference for guitar EXF and amps, but not always true in electronics. digital means signals are processed as digital (binary, ternary …) representations. the first digital electronic computers were built with tubes. so tubes can process digital signals -- but this is extremely unlikely for typical audio processing. BUT some digital amps may be hybrids with both digitally-processed and analog tube outputs. (see Mr. Parker's list above).

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Analog and digital is how the information is transferred. In digital it uses the binary 0 and 1 in an analog signal it varies.

maybe gnease can straighten us out. well he beat me to it.

Greg so if tubes could in theory handle digital signals can solid state devices handle analog signals? Or is this a duh question?

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

It's my understanding that tubes don't handle digital signals. They handle electrical currents (or whatever it is properly termed as).

edit: Well, even that phrase was ambiguous. :?

Roy

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

well Roy as greg mentioned the first computers used tubes so they can handle digital signals but I don't think you'll see that to often.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

well Roy as greg mentioned the first computers used tubes so they can handle digital signals but I don't think you'll see that to often.
Oh yeah. I don't know what roll the tubes played, but yes, they were some big units. I wonder if it was just power management until Solid State came around? I still don't know how a tube could interpret a statement (digital signal), though.

Roy

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3