Clear all

Help me get a Metal tone

9 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@ylime)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I have a VOX AD120VT amp. I wanted to get a metal/high gain tone. So I purchased a Line 6 POD 2.0. I'm using the Rectified setting but I'm still not satisfied with the tone. For some reason I like the sound better without the Line 6. I know I'm probably using it wrong. What settings do I want on my amp? Such as Bass, Treble, Mid, Gain, Presence, etc. http://www.voxamps.co.uk/products/valvetronix/ad120vt.htm

Is it possible to get a high gain tone I'm looking for with this amp? Please show me the way, LOL. I bought the Line 6 POD used, so I don't have the manual with it.

(@dagwood)
Noble Member

Is it possible to get a high gain tone I'm looking for with this amp? Please show me the way, LOL. I bought the Line 6 POD used, so I don't have the manual with it.

I think so man..and without the POD... look at your amp models and crank that gain up.... You have the Recty and Modern Amp models.. if I'm not mistaken those should sound close to what your looking for.

To hook up your pod (Amp Models) through anything but your Clean channel(s) I think would be over kill. Your amp has it own Amp Modeling capabilities.

As for your EQ Settings... Bass/Mid/Treb, its personal taste, but you usually Scoop the Mids all the way up or all the way down.. again its all about taste.

Start turning knobs on that Vox-Box of yours and you'll find "YOUR" Tone :)

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
(@ylime)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

The amp models weren't enough. I wanted something close to a Marshall tone, dual rectifier. Something close to that.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

You are probably never going to be satisfied with a modeler. They are good and can get close, but not quite the real deal.

Here is a great site, GuitarGeek. Just type in your favorite band or artist and see what they use.

GuitarGeek

Can't afford a $2000 Marshall or Mesa amp? There are some inexpensive ways to get great Metal tone. Pick up one of the new Epiphone Valve Jr. 5 watt amps.

Epiphone Valve Jr.

Pick up a cab and load it with a good speaker(s) like the Celestion G12T-75 (used in many Marshall cabs) or a Celestion Vintage 30.

Buy a good distortion or overdrive pedal.

Pick up an EQ pedal.

Crank this little amp into saturation and step on the pedal. Adjust tone to taste. You will be amazed. :twisted:

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

If those pictures are your settings, then maybe you should not use the 'acoustic simulation', and for the amp model, use the Rectro rather than UK Blues.

ReplyQuote
(@duffmaster)
Noble Member

For the dial in the first pick go to tube od, and for the second one go to US High Gain. Turn the gain and drive nobs up.

Who needs a signature?
I mean really...
It's almost always lyrics...
or a cliche...
or garbage about me...
Lets just save YOU from the pain, ok?

ReplyQuote
 vink
(@vink)
Prominent Member

The amp models weren't enough. I wanted something close to a Marshall tone, dual rectifier. Something close to that.

On the VOX, have you tried something like:
- UK modern for the amp
- Gain turned to max
- volume/power levels set to your taste
- Bass: high Mids: low Treble: High Presence: low
- Pedal: off (or OD or FAT OD)

Other effects off.

--vink
"Life is either an adventure or nothing" -- Helen Keller

ReplyQuote
(@ylime)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Ok for amp model on the amp, I'm using the Boutique CL. I'm sure what it is but I use it with the acoustic pedal setting if I want a clean sound. Gain is at max on both POD and VOX. The Modern Higain setting on the POD is what I like using the most. Presence on the VOX is turned all the way down. I found out it doesn't start to sound good until I have the volume at least half way up on the amp. Whats the point of having two volume controls on the amp? There's volume and master volume? I keep both halfway up. But yeah, with my current settings I'm pretty satisfied. I'll probably try tweaking it around a little more. Thanks everyone.

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

It's very much possible to create an excellent metal sound out of your Vox. To start with, keep the gain low. Pumping the gain is not the way to get a heavy sound, it's just the fastest way to create a soup of noise. Also don't ever use a scooped-mid EQ setting with loads of gain: scooped mids are for rhythm and loads of gain on rhythm sounds like crap. Make sure you pump the mids on the lead channel since you'll be needing them to cut through the mix. Chose one of the heavy models (recto should do) and try this:

[rhythm]
bass 8, mids 3, treble 8, gain 3
touch of reverb, fair ammount of compression (majorly important!)

[lead]
bass 5, mids 7, treble 5, gain 6
medium reverb, a bit of compression, miniscule delay, booster pedal with medium level and little drive.

As for volume: the normal volume button is used to set different patches to the same level. The master volume is used to control poweramp saturation and should be set to whatever you need. For metal I would use a fairly high master, set the volume of both presets so there is no volume loss when going lead and use the wattage selector to determine the actual volume.

Finally: a big part of the sound is your technique. When playing with 0.008s and a thin pick you are not going to get a massive sound. Your amp is perfect for what you want, there's no need to add any pedal or unit whatsoever.

ReplyQuote