Notifications
Clear all

Help with Amp settings?..

13 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@xkatex)
Topic starter  

Hey, all! I aplogize for the n00b post, but I think I kinda need some help/info. Feel free to laugh at my stupidity, I haven't been playing for very long!

I have a big-ass amp and two pedals, and a few days ago, I turned all of my settings to 0 on the amp, but kept the volume to see what the sound would sound like from just the pedal's settings. Now.. I can't remember for the life of me what my amp settings were, and now my playing sounds shit, even with the pedals. :? My bad. I've tried going through the different knobs, sitting and strumming trying to find the sound I orginally had, but it's gone. :( I get some bad feedback which hurts my ears. And I don't know what to do.

So.. forgive me for asking such a retarded question, but is there some sort of "common" setting for an amp that would sound okay with my Digitech pedals? HAHA, I realise that must sound stupid, but I'm just curious!

I currently use a Leem Pro Multiple Amplifier KA-1210N.. If that makes any difference!

If you guys could set me straight on this, it would be greatly appreciated. :D But I'm guessing I'm just gonna have to try and get it back on my own, huh?.. Haha, oh well. Worth a shot, right?

Thanks!

(@alangreen)

Welcome to the party dude.

As you've guessed, we're unlikely to know what your amp settings were, but if you're using pedals to get the sound then all you need is a decent clean sound out of your amp.

So, turn your guitar volume up to 10 and the guitar's tone controls to the point it stops sounding muddy (10 will do). Choose the clean channel on your amp, ramp up the bass to about 4, and the treble to about 6. Plug your guitar direct into the amp. Adjust volume to the level where the neighbours start to hate you and play. Adjust the three knobs to suit. I have a Marshall MG30DFX and find that turning the volume up to 30% on clean is enough to blow away the street.

Then plug in your FX pedals and start twiddling the knobs on them. Have fun.

The feedback is caused by:

1 - the guitar being directly in front of the speaker and the sound from the amp vibrates the strings which gets picked up by the pickups which goes through the amp and vibrates the strings which.....

2 - the amp volume is just ramped up too high and is going to feed back no matter where you are.

Write down amp and pedal settings when you find something that sounds good. Always useful. I got home the other night and found a piece of paper between the strings of my son's bass - I'm a nosey git so I read it; it was a hand drawn picture of the knobs on his bass amp and a note of what his settings were. AFAIK it's the first time he's done that. I'm sure it won't be the last.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

Write down amp and pedal settings when you find something that sounds good. Always useful. I got home the other night and found a piece of paper between the strings of my son's bass - I'm a nosey git so I read it; it was a hand drawn picture of the knobs on his bass amp and a note of what his settings were. AFAIK it's the first time he's done that. I'm sure it won't be the last.Mine are taped to the back of my amp, next to all the manufacturer's electrical gumpf about not using it in the bath etc. I learned that one the hard way - The tone settings had always been the same for literally years, and I just changed the reverb, gain and volume to suit. When I say years, I mean lots of 'em, somewhere between 5 and 10. They'd survived two house moves too. Then one day they're suddenly all different, and funnily enough it was just about the time that my eldest started crawling :roll: :)

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@xkatex)
Topic starter  

Welcome to the party dude.

As you've guessed, we're unlikely to know what your amp settings were, but if you're using pedals to get the sound then all you need is a decent clean sound out of your amp.

So, turn your guitar volume up to 10 and the guitar's tone controls to the point it stops sounding muddy (10 will do). Choose the clean channel on your amp, ramp up the bass to about 4, and the treble to about 6. Plug your guitar direct into the amp. Adjust volume to the level where the neighbours start to hate you and play. Adjust the three knobs to suit. I have a Marshall MG30DFX and find that turning the volume up to 30% on clean is enough to blow away the street.

Then plug in your FX pedals and start twiddling the knobs on them. Have fun.

The feedback is caused by:

1 - the guitar being directly in front of the speaker and the sound from the amp vibrates the strings which gets picked up by the pickups which goes through the amp and vibrates the strings which.....

2 - the amp volume is just ramped up too high and is going to feed back no matter where you are.

Write down amp and pedal settings when you find something that sounds good. Always useful. I got home the other night and found a piece of paper between the strings of my son's bass - I'm a nosey git so I read it; it was a hand drawn picture of the knobs on his bass amp and a note of what his settings were. AFAIK it's the first time he's done that. I'm sure it won't be the last.

Best,

A :-)

Dude, you own my face. That was actually really helpful - thank you! :lol: It sounds much better. At least now I have something solid to work on. Thanks again! I'll be sure to mention you in my album credits, haha! :P

And your son obviously has more common sense than myself.. be proud!

ReplyQuote
(@xkatex)
Topic starter  

Write down amp and pedal settings when you find something that sounds good. Always useful. I got home the other night and found a piece of paper between the strings of my son's bass - I'm a nosey git so I read it; it was a hand drawn picture of the knobs on his bass amp and a note of what his settings were. AFAIK it's the first time he's done that. I'm sure it won't be the last.Mine are taped to the back of my amp, next to all the manufacturer's electrical gumpf about not using it in the bath etc. I learned that one the hard way - The tone settings had always been the same for literally years, and I just changed the reverb, gain and volume to suit. When I say years, I mean lots of 'em, somewhere between 5 and 10. They'd survived two house moves too. Then one day they're suddenly all different, and funnily enough it was just about the time that my eldest started crawling :roll: :)

See, I don't have to worry about my siblings! They know that the touching of my equipment can result in an injury, but it's my DAD I have to watch. :shock: He likes to think he can play, and.. attempts to strum my guitar. Not to mention adjust the volume and any other buttons he can reach.. GAH. I need a padlock.

ReplyQuote
(@riff-raff)
Reputable Member

Don't think that's a dumb question. There are no dumb questions...blah blah blah...you know the rest.
Sometimes, I start messing with the settings on my amp and pedals and it starts to sound like crap and I then can't get it to sound right again! Then at some point I figure that I'm just too tired of messing with the stupid %^%^! knobs and switches and levers that NOTHING WILL EVER SOUND GOOD!! Then I go watch TV for a little while to get a break from it. I have to step away before I BREAK SOMETHING :evil:

Anyway. I never thought of writing the settings down when I get a good sound (DUH). I'll have to try that. I'd like to find something that sounds good and leave it that way forever. Then I can practice instead of messing with knobs. Did you ever count them by the way? Including my guitar (7), amp (13) and two pedals (14), I have 34 to mess with. That's not counting my Digitech RP80! It's no wonder that when I play my electric, I never get any practicing done. When I use my acoustic, I get much more quality practice time in! I only have to choose my pick!

ReplyQuote
(@xkatex)
Topic starter  

Don't think that's a dumb question. There are no dumb questions...blah blah blah...you know the rest.
Sometimes, I start messing with the settings on my amp and pedals and it starts to sound like crap and I then can't get it to sound right again! Then at some point I figure that I'm just too tired of messing with the stupid %^%^! knobs and switches and levers that NOTHING WILL EVER SOUND GOOD!! Then I go watch TV for a little while to get a break from it. I have to step away before I BREAK SOMETHING :evil:

Anyway. I never thought of writing the settings down when I get a good sound (DUH). I'll have to try that. I'd like to find something that sounds good and leave it that way forever. Then I can practice instead of messing with knobs. Did you ever count them by the way? Including my guitar (7), amp (13) and two pedals (14), I have 34 to mess with. That's not counting my Digitech RP80! It's no wonder that when I play my electric, I never get any practicing done. When I use my acoustic, I get much more quality practice time in! I only have to choose my pick!

HAHA! I got so frustrated that I just threw my plectrum down and left the amp. Then had a bit of a out-loud; "RARRR!", but it's all good! :lol: And I know what you mean, that's how I felt when I couldn't find my "perfect" sound again. :? But thanks to the first guy who posted, I'm at least half way there! But, yeah, I should've thought about it and wrote my settings down, aswell.. Learn from my mistake, uh?

How many knobs?.. None. I'm female. :) *cymbals* Haha, no, umm.. I dunno! I have 3 Guitars, 2 Amps, and 2 Pedals. - Let's just say a good few. :wink:

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

What type of sound are you looking to achieve? let me know what type of amp and effects your using and I'll come up with a few set-ups that perhaps will help you become more creative and inspiring as a guitarist. Plus it will help expand your knowledge on how different adjustments can be used to achieve different sounds.

joe

ReplyQuote
(@xkatex)
Topic starter  

What type of sound are you looking to achieve? let me know what type of amp and effects your using and I'll come up with a few set-ups that perhaps will help you become more creative and inspiring as a guitarist. Plus it will help expand your knowledge on how different adjustments can be used to achieve different sounds.

joe

I'm currently using a Leem Pro Multiple Amplifier KA-1210N, and a Digitech X-Series Tone Driver pedal (I also have a Digitech X-Series Hot Rod), on a DOD 250 Setting. I also like to use the Ibanez TS-9 one, too. My Guitar is a Retro H Daisy Rock (may sound ridiculous, but I have to use it! My hands are so small it's unreal, so the custom smaller neck is bliss.. But don't worry it's not Pink or anything, haha!) volume 10, tone 10, and on setting 3. But I also have a Strat.

As for the sound?.. Well, I like to have a little bit of heaviness, but not entirely. I like a nice.. how can explain it? Crunchy inbetween sound; not too heavy, not too light. Labelling-wise, I guess along the lines of that pop-punk sound, as typical and young as that may seem to someone like yourself! My Band and I are quite young, along the lines of 18, 15, and 13; so we're not exactly Hatebreed, haha.

So, what's the diagnosis.. Can you do anything with me, doc? :P

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Looks like you have plenty of units to experiment with. As an example I would get a nice clean sound for the amp and then experiment with the different units making small adjustments to them and really listening to what the sound is. Then when I would come across something that sounds good I would write the settings down. Then do some more adjusting. Each time writing them down so I could recall them later on.

Generally sounds kind of just pop into my head then I think what it would take to make it a reality. Alot of time it's just trial and error, with lots of practice.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@xkatex)
Topic starter  

I've recently been messin around with my gear, and I've halfway come up with my original sound; but it still sounds a bit.. "flat", if you will. :? I've sorta got the Tone I want, but what would I need to put my full attention on and fiddle with to make it sound more crunchy and "alive". (As in middle, treble, etc?)

know much to learn, I have. Easy on me, go. (Sadly I couldn't find a Yoda smilie.. :( )

ReplyQuote
(@ilovehayleyccc)

yo this is such a helpful forum but i got a question bout the amp presets what would a good like pop punk preset somthing like paramore.....

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

I never thought of writing the settings down when I get a good sound (DUH). I'll have to try that. I'd like to find something that sounds good and leave it that way forever. Then I can practice instead of messing with knobs. Did you ever count them by the way? Including my guitar (7), amp (13) and two pedals (14), I have 34 to mess with.

Pro sound companies have been doing this for years on the mixing consoles. They want to make sure nothing has changed between sound check and the gig. Or to be able to reset the headliner's settings after the opening act is done.
Often they'll take a copy of the layout of the board from the manual, make a bunch of photocopies, then just mark in the drawing the position of all the knobs. Simple and it works.

On a concert PA front of house board, there can be several hundred knobs to reset quickly.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote