Clear all

Hooking Two Amps Together

5 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I have a Samick LA10 amp laying around I never use and was wondering if it's possible to play through the Randall and have it go to the Samick. Not sure how it would sound, but wanted to ask to make sure nothing was going to blow up before I try it. Also, do I use the 'send' port on the back of the Randall?

(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

that is a really good question. I know you can add speaker cabinets to your combo amp. I am not sure how you would connect two amps that both have preamps...maybe disconnect the Samick and plug into the speakers?
alos, the ohm ratings have to match all the speakers involved.
other than that I dont know what I am talking about...not a techie.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member

You would have to either use the Samick as an extension cabinet or run your guitar signal through both separately. To use the Samick as an extension cabinet do as suggested above - run the speaker out line from the Randall to the speaker on the Samick. Make sure that the impedances match - if the Randall is expecting 8 ohms make sure that the speaker on the Samick is 8 ohms. If these are solid state you might get away with a higher impedance on the speaker end than on the amp end.

To use both amps seperately you will need a signal splitter to split the signal from your guitar to the amps. You could just use a "Y" cable that has 3 female 1/4" phono jacks and then plug the root of the "Y" into your guitars cable and the legs of the "Y" into guitar cables running to each of the amps. You might even be able to get one with long legs on the "Y" so you coud use male 1/4" phono on them and just go directly into the amps. You will likely need to turn the amps up some as the signal each will be getting will be at least halved.

Pop music is about stealing pocket money from children. - Ian Anderson

ReplyQuote
(@gremlin)

Hmmm I have a simliar question but wondering about a little different approach. I have a carvin 100watt tube full stack and an older peavey 130 watt tube combo and 212 ext speaker laying around. I want to hook the two together, now for what i was thinking. just simply running a cable from the send of the carvin effects loop to the return of the peavey's effects loop and using the carvins preamp to controll both rigs. will this work?

Oh yeah this is my first post here so hello!

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I guess you could use the Send of the effects loop, this is the pre-amp section of your amp. But most amps have a Line Out or PreAmp Out, this is the proper connection to use. Just run from this into the regular instrument input on amp #2, or if amp #2 has an effects loop you could go into the Effects Return. Some amps have a "Power Amp In", this is OK to go into with a "line" strength signal as well. This bypasses the preamp section of the amp.

One thing you never want to do is go from a Speaker Out into another amp. The Speaker Out is a very powerful amplified signal made to do just one thing.... drive speakers. If you go from a Speaker Out into another amp it will fry the 2nd amp quick. :shock:

So don't do that. The Line Out or PreAmp out is a small fairly weak signal that needs to be amplified. The Speaker Out is a very powerful signal. Never get them confused.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote