Clear all

How do you overdrive a solid state amp?

9 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@djdubb)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

To get that overdriven blues scream like in some blues rock music, buying a tube amp is long shot since I'm a broke college student working part time. If I really really need a tube amp a might get a second job, it took me forever to buy the solid state amp and all summer to get the Jimmie Vaughan strat.

My gear is a Jimmie Vaughan strat
Fender Fm 212R combo
screamin blues foot pedal by digitech and a RP80.
Someone please help me before I go insane!

Also what's the different between overdrive and Distortion?

"Failure is the key to success" Lee Wen; Champ vs Champ

(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

My solid state has distortion (overdrive) settings built in. It's solid state modeling of the tube amp distortion. And you can also buy effects pedals to get different variations. But I get nice tones out of my solid state.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@primeta)
Prominent Member

What are you doing with your pedal at the moment? Try the amp on clean and play with the pedal's gain and level. IIRC mids should be high and roll back on the bass and treble

On the other hand you might want to return the pedal, I see the reviews at MF aren't all that favourable. :?

"Things may get a whole lot worse/ Before suddenly falling apart"
Steely Dan
"Look at me coyote, don't let a little road dust put you off" Knopfler

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Distortion is the result of overdriven tubes or transistorts, but in guitarland overdrive usually means a mild distortion.

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

There is a few different ways of achieving what your asking. The tone your asking about is the from overdriving the output tubes creating the power supply to sag, trying to keep up with the power demand. It can be achieved with a solidstate amp, however it will not have the same harmonic content as an all tube amp. Other ways to try would like these listed below and spending time experimenting with different setting on both the pedals and amp.

1. You could turn the pre-amp gains up and the master volume down.

2. Overdrive the screamin blues pedal into the amps pre-amp.

3. Adjust RP80 and a clean setting on the amp.

4. Use the RP80 more as an equalizer-> Blues pedal ->amp input. Amp pre-amp 6 to 8 = slight overdrive -> Master volume set 0 to 2 1/2.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@djdubb)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks Forrok Star, for the answer. I think the best way to go is to buy a tube amp and sell the solid state.
I wasted some money.

"Failure is the key to success" Lee Wen; Champ vs Champ

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

You need to think positive. You didn't waste anything, really you learned from doing. I have both types of amps their all used for different things. You could alway get a another amp and keep the one you have now, then run them both at the same time. If you use the RP80 stereo by running one side into one amp and one into another. A guitarist could get pretty creative. I have tied using an attenuator on solid state but couldn't get what I was looking for from it and I haven't run one for the lenght of time I've do with my tube amps, sometimes their on for extended lenghts of time without being shut off.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

An attenuator on a solidstate amp? Wouldn't that be pretty much an expensive volume-lowering device, considering the extremely low harmonic distortion levels transistors get when you crank it?

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

You can get a tube pre-amp for about $50. That can add some warmth. Turn down the gain on the amp and the pedals and add the tube pre-amp and you might get a good sound. GOOD LUCK

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote