Clear all

is there less expensive octave dividers than digitech whammy

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@gutfiddle)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I really like Jack White's minimalist approach to guitar and his sound. He uses a digitech whammy pedal, among other things, and I like the way it sounds like 2 guitars. Is there a cheaper pedal out there that will create a similar effect then the $200 digitech whammy? I'm not so concerned about the whammy effect as much as I want the octave divider capability. I have a digitech RP80 modeling processor and have enjoyed all the various effects, but as w/ any multieffect processor, its hard to dial in one really good setup, as in creating Jack White's distinct overdriven octave splittin gutfiddlin' jams 8)

Thinkin' bout the times we had
Some were good and some were bad
guitar fightin' the tv
i was thinkin bout you and me

(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

My Zoom GFX-1 has whammy although I rarely use it. I have the expression pedal, so I can get the true Whammy effect. I used to own a Digitech, the Zoom sounds just as good to me.

Without the expression pedal, you can use the Zoom as an octave divider. I do not have it or the manual available as I write this, but I believe you can set it for;

One octave above or below
Two octaves above or below
A third above or below
A fourth above or below
A fifth above or below

I think that is correct, but as I said, I don't have the manual as I write this, and I have not used the effect very much.

The default presets have a couple of whammy settings. I have goofed around with one quite a bit, sounds great to me.

As for minimalist, to me Angus Young is a minimalist. A guitar, a pick, a cord, and an amp. :D

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@gutfiddle)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

reading through my digitech RP80 manual and it has the whammy effect w/ different octave settings too, guess i should read instructions first!? Hope my neighbors like the white stripes cause they're gonna get a big dose of them tonight :twisted:

Angus Young is very much a minimalist as far as gear goes, and I love his energy but some of his solo's get alittle carried away. Although, he isnt the virtuouso showoff that some players whom cram as many notes in a 4 min song as possible. I was referring to Jack White's playing style. I've seen them 3 times and there performances are amazing, especially w/ only 2 people, and Meg's backbeats are nothing fancy. Here is a qoute that sums up what im trying to convey better:

"A good rule of thumb when playing White Stripes is that Jack is a minimalist; that is, he generally plays intuitively and does not do anything fancy or unnecessary. Any of his riffs that can be played with open notes, or low on the neck as opposed to high, usually are. Any fifth ("power") chords that can be played lower on the neck, such as A5 and B5, are usually played that way (unless they are accompanied by higher chords). He doesn't usually play full chords when they aren't necessary. He'll bar an A major chord as long as the high e isn't sounded, and hold only the fragments of chords that are sounded. Jack also has a peculiar way of holding high fifth chords, his index finger on the root note and his little finger on the fifth or barring the fifth and octave."

Thinkin' bout the times we had
Some were good and some were bad
guitar fightin' the tv
i was thinkin bout you and me

ReplyQuote