Clear all

Kashmir fx

9 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@mattypretends116)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Does anyone know what effect is used to create that whooshing in the background? I think its a flanger, but I can't get it to sound right. Are any additional fx used as well?

M

"Contrary to popular belief, Clapton is NOT God. The prospect that he is God probably had a large hand in driving him to drugs and booze. Thanks everyone."

-Guitar World :lol:

(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Couple thoughts would be using a compressor with real high settings will create a whooshing or breathing effect or a envolope follower? Combinations of using a phaser with slow sweep and alot of depth, maybe add a little flanger or chorus.

Do you have a sound clip or is this a Quest for a certain sound that your trying to create?

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@mattypretends116)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

I can't post a clip, but I can email it to you. The hosting I use doesn't allow uploads of copyrighted material other than personal covers. PM me if you would like an email.

:) M

"Contrary to popular belief, Clapton is NOT God. The prospect that he is God probably had a large hand in driving him to drugs and booze. Thanks everyone."

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Really hard to say with all the equiment on the market today, really what there using. It may have been done at time of the mix down. But by using a combination of a Eventide Harmonizer and a MXR phase 90, I can close. Try experimenting with any harmonizer and phaser that should work.

Just a shot in the dark.

joe

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Here's a page that shows some of Jimmy Page's gear. Joe knows all this stuff, maybe he can give you a better idea now.

Every site I found said Jimmy used a Danelectro guitar made from 2 seperate Danelectro's on Kashmir.

Jimmy Page Gear

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@mattypretends116)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

I've been listening to phasers and that sounds like the right type of sound. What does a harmonizer do, double up the sound?

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

A Harmonizer samples incoming audio signal and automatically creates several time stretched versions at different pitches and combines them. Example: If you Played one note, depending on how you have it set anything from 1-5 notes come out, high or lower than the one you played. Sometimes its hard to tell its even used, other times it can be real noticable. You can specify a chord and the harmonizer will create voices based on the chord.

There are many different kinds of harmonizers, some have other effects like delay, reverb, gender shifting, pitch correction to name a couple. Harmonizers are a blast to play around with you can come up with some very interesting sounds. Even if your not a great vocalist a harmonizer can be set to make you sound like you are. Using pitch correction you'll never be out of key. With gender shifting you can make your voice low or high, or even like a female vocalist.

Noticable usage would be Boston, thin lizzy.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@mattypretends116)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Cool, thanks Joe and Wes :)

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Your Welcome, Was hoping I could explain it to give you an idea what possibilities are there.

Joe

ReplyQuote