Clear all

Lighting for outdoor gig

6 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@corbind)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

We just played an outdoor show where the first set was daylight and most of the second in darkness. I prepared by having two 500 watt halogen lights you put on the ground and split them. They were angled toward the middle of the stage. Result? We could see our fingers so could play but when we looked up all was saw was light and no audience. That got annoying so we moved one of those lights literally on stage shooting left to right.

It was on my right ankle and felt like I was on fire from the heat. Anyway, that didn't help the guitar player 25' over on the other side of the stage. Do any of you have some suggestions on how we can be able to see our hands and be able to see the audience? The only thing I can think of is have overhead lighting shooting down. Our next 2 gigs are outdoors so we have to find a solution.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

(@leear)
Honorable Member

well this is one of those situations. First off shouldn't need to look at your hands that much. come one... LOL!!!!

ok best be go by 8 par 64 cans with trees dimmer packs and all (roughtly 600.00) put them by the speakers and shoot them down. four per side with gels in 2 on each side. Remember though for every 4 lights you need at 20amp circuit and a good heavy extension cord. As far as seeing the audeince. its one of thsoe you got to get used to it things, I've never been to performed in or worked a show where the people on stage could see the crowd clearly, its practiaclly impossible.

No matter where you go.... There You are! Law of Location

ReplyQuote
(@diceman)
Reputable Member

Par 64's are good professional sized lights and they will definitely do the job , however if you just want to see and be seen you can get away with using par 38's . They are much cheaper , much lighter and the bulbs are much less expensive to replace . A standard 150 watt floodlight is what is used and eight of them can easily be operated off one 20 amp circuit . You will find that the bigger the light , the more heat it puts off . The really large lights like the par 64 put out a LOT of heat and can really make things uncomfortable when playing indoors on a warm summer's eve .

If I claim to be a wise man , it surely means that I don't know .

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I know I'm not supposed to look at my hands but I do. I looked up those cans. I see they both draw tons of power and generate, even worse, tons of heat. I play shows with at least 2 fans blowing on me so hot lights are out. Any suggestions for LED lights? Was reading they don't break, last forever and consume minimal power.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Bump.

I was looking at these two. Any thoughts?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Chauvet-LED-Shadow-?sku=800555

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Chauvet-COLORsplash-200B-?sku=800553

:?:

ReplyQuote
(@leear)
Honorable Member

these lights are more for DJ effect lighting than stage lighting, though I guess it could work.

No matter where you go.... There You are! Law of Location

ReplyQuote